2018 ford expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think its tasked for 2017...I could be wrong

That's correct, however the model year is subject to change. It depends on the release date (beginning or end of year) and if Ford decides to market the Uxxx as a "early" 2018 model.

Expect it to bow as either a 2017 (if released late 2016) or 2018 (if released early 2017) model.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will the styling favor more the new f150 or the explorer? I would prefer a more civilized f150 exterior with edge interior styling with flex interior packaging.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the styling favor more the new f150 or the explorer? I would prefer a more civilized f150 exterior with edge interior styling with flex interior packaging.

Hopefully the explorer cuz that f150 is damn hard to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otters07

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully the explorer cuz that f150 is damn hard to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the new F150s...however it has to be the higher end models without all the chrome. Saw a few 2015 XLTs the other day... :puke:

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A three-quarter ton Expedition is not on the books. It should also be noted that GM's Chevrolet/GMC brands have opted to "discontinue sale" on their Suburban 2500 and Yukon XL 2500 to consumers, for the foreseeable future.

They have been limited to fleet and government sales only. To buy them, they must be ordered by fleet companies or government agencies. The average consumer will not be able to buy a 2500 unit new anymore.

Half-ton construction and technology has progressed to where current half-tons tow and haul what older three-quarter tons could 10 years ago, and one-tons could 20 years ago.

The current Expedition (U324) tows up to 9,200 lbs (4.6 tons) of braked trailer. The Excursion (UW137) when first introduced in 2000 was rated for only 10,000 lbs of braked trailer in its best configuration. So the current Expedition is knocking on the Excursion’s door.

The Expedition already has larger heavier-duty disc brakes than the Excursion had, with larger swept area and larger disc diameter.

The next Expedition is expected to push beyond 9,200 lbs and into 10,000 lb braked trailer territory.

There are a couple of issues with this post. First is the GMT800 3/4 Ton or CK20906 has been dead since the changeover to the NNBS, no fleets can order the 3/4 ton regardless of quantity requested. The factory that built the 2500s had been retooled and they no long support that chassis. There are a few test mules running around with 3/4 ton running gear on the NNBS trucks but GM has not confirmed any of this.

Another issue is that neither the Excursion or current Expedition conform to the SAE tow rating standard so to say they tow X,*** lbs is just a claim with nothing to back it up. Ford has been trying to buck the tow ratings for years as they realize their trucks are over rated and most likely will not pass the J2807 tow rating requirements. Only the F-150 tow ratings have met the J2807 criteria while GM and Toyota have been using it for a couple of years now.

I know, but still being able to get a 3/4 ton expedition would be nice! Eitherway the true limitation to the "wagon body" trucks is the lack of a 5th wheel or goose neck ability and such really cant go too high with hitch towing.

Why do you "need" a 5th wheel or gooseneck to pull significant weight? I have customers who safely and legally pull 40K lbs plus on tag trailers. Trailer towing ability, bumper pull or 5th wheel / gooseneck regardless of weight is simply how well the vehicle was engineered.

I've seen Land Rover LR4s and Discovery SUVs towing 7,500 lbs as well as 2nd generation expeditions. It's all in engineering, if you look ford bumped the tow ratings for the 2015 Expedition with no changes to the brakes, hitch or suspension. Do you think the Expedition is J2807 compliant? I am would make a well educated guess to say in it's current configuration it is not.

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a couple of issues with this post. First is the GMT800 3/4 Ton or CK20906 has been dead since the changeover to the NNBS, no fleets can order the 3/4 ton regardless of quantity requested. The factory that built the 2500s had been retooled and they no long support that chassis. There are a few test mules running around with 3/4 ton running gear on the NNBS trucks but GM has not confirmed any of this.

I was referring to the upcoming model. Only 1500s are available at the moment. The Suburban 2500 is returning for 2016 (model year) for fleet only: See link

2016 Chevrolet Suburban HD will be 3/4 Ton; Fleet Only

Another issue is that neither the Excursion or current Expedition conform to the SAE tow rating standard so to say they tow X,*** lbs is just a claim with nothing to back it up. Ford has been trying to buck the tow ratings for years as they realize their trucks are over rated and most likely will not pass the J2807 tow rating requirements. Only the F-150 tow ratings have met the J2807 criteria...

The next Expedition will adopt the new towing standards set forth by the SAE. Either way, Ford does test and evaluate the towing performance of its trucks and SUVs. They are not arbitrarily assigned tow ratings.

GM and Toyota have been using it for a couple of years now.

Toyota adopted SAE J2807 around 2013. GM only started using SAE J2807 for its 2015 models. So GM has not been using it for a couple of years as you stated. Ford also adopted SAE J2807 for the 2015 model year.

It's all in engineering, if you look ford bumped the tow ratings for the 2015 Expedition with no changes to the brakes, hitch or suspension. Do you think the Expedition is J2807 compliant? I am would make a well educated guess to say in it's current configuration it is not.

Actually, the "bump" in towing capacity was small and not praiseworthy. Therefore Ford did not push to advertise the change.

Expedition EL 4x4 saw a minor increase by 400 lbs; Expedition EL 4x2 saw a 300 lb increase; Expedition 4x4 saw a 200 lb increase; Expedition 4x2 saw no change. Nothing to write home about.

The rating change stems from the extra 55 lb-ft of torque the EcoBoost added (and at lower RPMs, then the 5.4 Triton was capable of), remapped electronic throttle management, and design changes to the Expedition's T1 frame (T1 platform), which can be seen by a trained eye, such as a additional structural cross-member.

These enhancements help the heavier models move more weight faster (thus offsetting their weight penalty) and translate to the slight "bump" in ratings. The disc brakes have always been rated for GCVW over 15,000 lbs.

Last edited:

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd like to see paint that actually stays on the vehicle. I'm picky like that.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was referring to the upcoming model. Only 1500s are available at the moment. The Suburban 2500 is returning for 2016 (model year) for fleet only: See link

2016 Chevrolet Suburban HD will be 3/4 Ton; Fleet Only

The next Expedition will adopt the new towing standards set forth by the SAE. Either way, Ford does test and evaluate the towing performance of its trucks and SUVs. They are not arbitrarily assigned tow ratings.

Toyota adopted SAE J2807 around 2013. GM only started using SAE J2807 for its 2015 models. So GM has not been using it for a couple of years as you stated. Ford also adopted SAE J2807 for the 2015 model year.

Actually, the "bump" in towing capacity was small and not praiseworthy. Therefore Ford did not push to advertise the change.

Expedition EL 4x4 saw a minor increase by 400 lbs; Expedition EL 4x2 saw a 300 lb increase; Expedition 4x4 saw a 200 lb increase; Expedition 4x2 saw no change. Nothing to write home about.

The rating change stems from the extra 55 lb-ft of torque the EcoBoost added (and at lower RPMs, then the 5.4 Triton was capable of), remapped electronic throttle management, and design changes to the Expedition's T1 frame (T1 platform), which can be seen by a trained eye, such as a additional structural cross-member.

These enhancements help the heavier models move more weight faster (thus offsetting their weight penalty) and translate to the slight "bump" in ratings. The disc brakes have always been rated for GCVW over 15,000 lbs.

...let's clear this up. The 3/4 suburban is NOT currently available nor have they released a date yet for the next ones. I have a 2016 FLEET order guide sitting on my computer at work and there is no 3/4 slated only 1/2 tons. If the Suburban 3/4 is released to fleet and is offered in anything other than fleet trim I will be ordering one. Once again NO FLEETS CAN CURRENTLY OR IN THE NEAR FUTURE ORDER 3/4 TON SUBURBANS.

Next, I am well aware of Ford's "testing" for their tow ratings and they are somewhat arbitrary, there is no internal standard for their ratings just what engineers feel "comfortable" with. We frequently get to test field follow products for ford, including the 6.4 and 6.7 diesel super duties as well as the 2015 F-150 so I probably have just a wee bit more inside knowledge than most on this subject. Bottom line is ford has not adopted this across the line as you IMPLY. ONLY READ ONLY the F-150 currently meets the standard. How many ford engineers have flown to your jobsites to see their trucks in action and test them? How many trucks has ford sent you to test and report back on?

Third, J2807 ratings, sorry GM is less than a month away from being a couple years on the J2807. Much longer than any ford product. Toyota has been since 2013, that is a couple of years, two = couple.

Frame change huh? Not quite. It has to do with consumers questioning why the SWB model can out tow the LWB model.

2013:
Model EXPEDITION AND EXPEDITION EL
FRAME: — Type Boxed, Front to Rear Axle — 6 Crossmembers (3 Boxed), 36,000 psi
— Section Modulus 24.7 cu. in.

2015:
Model EXPEDITION AND EXPEDITION EL
FRAME: — Type Boxed, Front to Rear Axle — 6 Crossmembers (3 Boxed), 36,000 psi
— Section Modulus 24.7 cu. in.

Last edited:

hendricksen11

Reaction score
This is getting good.. and more model information than typically seen in most posts.. so I'll be following this post even with no intention (funds) to ever get a new expedition..

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey locdoc, is there still gonna be a el version for the redesign? Ford should add a sliding second row seat for all seat segments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deena