2018+ Post Pictures Thread!- Lets see those shiny new trucks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
48036271-4849-4847-90DE-CFB6E5A73369.jpeg

This is the air dam on my Navigator, 8.5 inches. I think I can handle 3 or 4 inches of snow (as thrown out in a comment above) or ford a foot deep stream if I wish. I don’t recall this or the expy being marketed to off roaders and I feel confident it can take me to everywhere I need it to when the pavement ends.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
The only reason the air dam is on there is for MPG. If you take it off, your going to lose a couple MPG.

And yes, If you spend $1000's to lift your truck, then yes, you won't face the same clearance issues the standard factory models face.... not sure what that proves?

Look, I am cool too and can post a pic of a vehicle I don't own that could actually handle off road conditions like a true SUV should. Still isn't a stock factory Expedition......But if they made a Raptor Expedition, I would then consider it worthy of the off-road....

28430573_379366409194621_6175661821979000832_n.jpg
I’ve taken the airdam off before a 600 mile round trip and saw zero difference in mpg or highway driving so your statement is false, at least in respect to my vehicle. And I have about 12-1/4” of clearance just to the air damF2737B09-CD78-45D9-9E16-DAFEA6915F1A.jpeg

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve taken the airdam off before a 600 mile round trip and saw zero difference in mpg or highway driving so your statement is false, at least in respect to my vehicle. And I have about 12-1/4” of clearance just to the air damView attachment 24225
Yours is clearly bigger than mine hahahahaha

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The expy has definelty been marketed to those who lightly off road, it's tagline was "the only way to get there" after all. Enjoy these old ads lol.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude, just making a point that 4” of snow should be nothing for an expedition
Oh I completely agree with you as I made the same point in my previous comment... I’m just making a comment about us both getting out tape measures and my 4 inch shorter ground clearance. Is yours lifted?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Oh I completely agree with you as I made the same point in my previous comment... I’m just making a comment about us both getting out tape measures and my 4 inch shorter ground clearance. Is yours lifted?
Yeah Readylift 3/2. Don’t have $3000 for coil overs so I went spacer route

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This new Expy is just as capable as it's predecessors. ANY vehicle with 4wd/awd, decent tires and a competent driver will get through a foot of snow. I don't miss having to jump out and lock in hubs. The skid plate is there to protect the engine and drivetrain components and it doesn't need to be at a 45° angle to do it's job. No one is going to be purposefully running up onto rocks or stumps with these vehicles in stock form. They are marketed as having off-road capability but I think people have delusions of grandeur if they think their stock Expy, pick any year, will handle off roads like a Jeep with it's short wheelbase and high approach angles. That being said, that vehicle must be a total POS because unlike the Expy, it can't tow ****, doesn't have room for a family of 6 and is as noisy as it gets with it's removable top. :D (I'm kidding for those that don't see it)

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You almost got my point......Drive one of these through 4 inches of snow....and you are going to be pushing snow with that front end. Its not just a Ford issue, all the manufacturers put their air dams down so low now that there are very few vehicles that can drive through 4+ inches of snow and not receive front end damage. Now drive one of these through a road where 5 inches of slushy snow had been driven on and roughed up...and then it dropped below 0 and all the tracks in the now have frozen.....that front end isn't going down that road without receiving some damage. We used to buy SUV to handle the bad snowy weather....the foot deep snow covered roads because they had the clearance and 4 wheel drive to be able to handle anything. Now a full sized SUV is nothing more than a station wagon with 4 wheel drive and no ground clearance.

The reason Expedition, Suburbans, Tahoes, Excursions all became popular were because they were pickups that had room to seat your entire family. They could tow, they had full time 4 wheel drive, and they could go pretty much anywhere. Now to get that same capability you will have to look at someone like Range Rover to get a true SUV type vehicle.

Where I grew up we had 2 vehicles we ran during the winter months, an old Suburban and a Jeep Cherokee. When it snowed it could be days before you would see a snowplow clear the roads. If you wanted to go somewhere we would lock the front hubs on one of the vehicles (most of you youngsters on here probably have no idea what that even means.....), get going as fast as you could and your drove as hard as you could through the snowdrifts to get through them. If you went to slow, you would be shoveling yourself out.

The fronts on these vehicles were still metal back then.....you could hit a snowdrift hard and nothing would happen to the vehicle...the vehicles were designed to handle it.

Now imagine taking out one of these new Expeditions out if the same situation. First snowdrift you hit, you might as well take out the checkbook for $2000-$3000 for the front end damage that's going to happen, as its all plastic up there and the first snow drift will crack it all to hell, and most of it will fall off.

SUV used to mean go anywhere, handle anything type of vehicle. This current version of the Expedition is not an SUV, its a glorified minivan at best.

sounds like the only thing that will make you happy is an old suburban! there are forums for those!! here you go. https://ck5.com/forums/

there is NO vehicle that offers what you are wanting out right now. there would be a VERY LIMITED MARKET for it. you are wanting a hardcore offroader with aftermarket style underbody protection, 12" + ground clearance and 7 passengers comfortably!!!! LOL.

we had 14" of snow this year and my explorer, which has much less ground clearance than our new Expedition, ripped through it all never missing a beat.

you get an old K5 blazer, drive it for a couple of weeks and holler back and let us know how it compares to the new platforms!

if you are desperate for off-road prowess, $500 for a Readylift 3/2 and some companion wheels and tires is a very reasonable price to pay to get the clearance JSki is showing off!! Your average soccer mom/dad has 0 need for this, ever. 3/4s of the country never sees snow.