2019 4*4 Stealth shifting weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on an extended road trip in Mexico, towing a 4500 lb small fiberglass camp trailer. A bunch of times, when the truck is in tow/haul mode, and I give it some gas to pass someone basically nothing happens. It doesn't rev. Doesn't rev. It doesn't shift it. Just kind of putters along and then there's a delayed clunk shift and then it finally has some power. If I remember I've gotten to putting it in sport before I do a pass then it responds the way I expect.

Is this likely the firmware problem with delayed shifting and stuff in 4/5? I don't know what gear I'm in, because the 10 speed gear display went out the second week of this trip. I won't be home until early May, so I'm not going to try to bring it to a Ford shop here in Mexico because we have just too little time and are doing too much. We're never more than 4 days in the same city., and mostly we're staying in relatively rural areas. Fantastic caravan guided RV tour, the organized tours have been far more fun than I even expected them to be. Highlight next month will be the total solar eclipse in the Mazatlan area

Oh, this Expedition has the HD tow package, it was bundled with Stealth in 2019. By the way, I'm really glad I put 18 in wheels on this truck instead of the 22s it came with. Mexican highways and back roads are gnarly, the topes (speed bumps ) are vicious, and so are the potholes.

PXL_20240306_140747210-X2.jpg

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mayne your tranny just needs to be "reset"

also

When my gear #'s displayed disappeard after a PCM flash i had to....

While the gear selector in in Drive "D" , push the "+" button located next to the gear rotary selector to show the gear #'s display back on your cluster.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on an extended road trip in Mexico, towing a 4500 lb small fiberglass camp trailer. A bunch of times, when the truck is in tow/haul mode, and I give it some gas to pass someone basically nothing happens. It doesn't rev. Doesn't rev. It doesn't shift it. Just kind of putters along and then there's a delayed clunk shift and then it finally has some power. If I remember I've gotten to putting it in sport before I do a pass then it responds the way I expect.

Is this likely the firmware problem with delayed shifting and stuff in 4/5? I don't know what gear I'm in, because the 10 speed gear display went out the second week of this trip. I won't be home until early May, so I'm not going to try to bring it to a Ford shop here in Mexico because we have just too little time and are doing too much. We're never more than 4 days in the same city., and mostly we're staying in relatively rural areas. Fantastic caravan guided RV tour, the organized tours have been far more fun than I even expected them to be. Highlight next month will be the total solar eclipse in the Mazatlan area

Oh, this Expedition has the HD tow package, it was bundled with Stealth in 2019. By the way, I'm really glad I put 18 in wheels on this truck instead of the 22s it came with. Mexican highways and back roads are gnarly, the topes (speed bumps ) are vicious, and so are the potholes.

notorious CDF drum issue, considering the model year of your vehicle. If parts are available, that job probably takes a couple of days in dealership.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mayne your tranny just needs to be "reset"

also

When my gear #'s displayed disappeard after a PCM flash i had to....

While the gear selector in in Drive "D" , push the "+" button located next to the gear rotary selector to show the gear #'s display back on your cluster.
Doy, I feel like an idjot now. Yup, that's it. I've had the Expy since November and have driven it about 8000 miles and am still learning new stuff. Also, in D, the minus button let's you lock out 10, or 9,10, or 8,9,10...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire