2019 Expedtion oil leaks and power train malfunction, power reduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Expedition XLT 4WD has around 47k miles and I had two incidents that the Ford dealer could not duplicate or refused to check. While driving around 75 mph cruise on Interstate, it suddenly lost power and all the lights came up like powertrain malfunction, reduced power, turbo sensor not in range, 4wd not working etc. The same messages showed up on my Ford app and the Expedition was in limp mode so I had to pull over and waited about 30 minutes. I brought it to Gwinett Ford dealer in Atlanta and they could not find any stored codes like it never happened. I showed them the messages on my app and they said nothing was found.

Adding to those codes, I found out my oil was leaking that caused terrible burning smell and two dealers in Arkansas couldn't find the cause. After I went to an independent shop for oil change in Atlanta, the owner pointed out to me that the valve gaskets are leaking so he recommended to bring it in. Ford dealer in Atlanta finally admitted about the oil leaks and replaced all the valve gaskets, spark plug boots. I'm still curious why they don't want to investigate on the codes.

Last edited:

Christopher D

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition Platinum and just turned 88,000 miles. I'm having similar issues and first started experiencing them about 1,000 miles ago. Same loss of power and transmission fault issue which has happened 3x (once while towing). Now the engine light comes on and then shuts off. It shakes (sometimes) at a light, like it's about to stall but it never does. Then it goes away after driving it. No leaks to report. I do have the bumper to bumper warranty so I'm hoping that when I bring it in for service next week there will be some stored codes in addition to my app telling me "The Engine Control system has detected a misalignment between the engines internal components. This fault can also occur from improper oil usage or improper engine oil maintenance." Funny thing is, the oil change is up to date and always is. Let's see what type of creative excuse the dealer comes up with to go around the warranty.

OP
OP
K

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First time it happened and I was under bumper to bumper warranty. No codes were found according to the dealer. The second time it happened and the dealer said they would charge diagnostic fee but I told them I have extended warranty until 100k miles. Once again, no codes found.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Expedition XLT 4WD has around 47k miles and I had two incidents that the Ford dealer could not duplicate or refused to check. While driving around 75 mph cruise on Interstate, it suddenly lost power and all the lights came up like powertrain malfunction, reduced power, turbo sensor not in range, 4wd not working etc. The same messages showed up on my Ford app and the Expedition was in limp mode so I had to pull over and waited about 30 minutes. I brought it to Gwinett Ford dealer in Atlanta and they could not find any stored codes like it never happened. I showed them the messages on my app and they said nothing was found.

Adding to those codes, I found out my oil was leaking that caused terrible burning smell and two dealers in Arkansas couldn't find the cause. After I went to an independent shop for oil change in Atlanta, the owner pointed out to me that the valve gaskets are leaking so he recommended to bring it in. Ford dealer in Atlanta finally admitted about the oil leaks and replaced all the valve gaskets, spark plug boots. I'm still curious why they don't want to investigate on the codes.
It looks like the infamous Wastegate problem to me.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

By the way, it's a surprise to see your valve gaskets started leaking at 47k. The valve gaskets on my 2014 RAM 1500 had no problem before 90k. After that mileage, it did start "leaking" oil. And it was very very minor so that even mechanics didn't give me any warning. I found minor oil seepages myself when I changed the engine oil.

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition Platinum and just turned 88,000 miles. I'm having similar issues and first started experiencing them about 1,000 miles ago. Same loss of power and transmission fault issue which has happened 3x (once while towing). Now the engine light comes on and then shuts off. It shakes (sometimes) at a light, like it's about to stall but it never does. Then it goes away after driving it. No leaks to report. I do have the bumper to bumper warranty so I'm hoping that when I bring it in for service next week there will be some stored codes in addition to my app telling me "The Engine Control system has detected a misalignment between the engines internal components. This fault can also occur from improper oil usage or improper engine oil maintenance." Funny thing is, the oil change is up to date and always is. Let's see what type of creative excuse the dealer comes up with to go around the warranty.
I’m pretty sure this is your problem/repair. Sounds like the issue I had and this resolved it.
Thread 'Just replaced the VVT Solenoid'
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/just-replaced-the-vvt-solenoid.51424/