2019 Limited Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corps8404

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an intermittent problem that occurs when driving at 40mph+ and then coming to a stop, the truck makes a slight lurch and an equally slight thump. When I proceed to press the accelerator to start again there's a millisecond delay and off we go like normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? Please advise...thanks!

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Happens all the time, especially after 3rd gear. It’s a bit more noticeable after my tune; it’s like the 10 speed gets confused or something. I have the tune now for 2 months, and it’s calmed a bit, and mostly happens now on the first start of the day. It’s a little annoying, but others have had the same experience.

However, I have never heard a thump before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Corps8404

Corps8404

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. The thump is very slight but we've only had the vehicle for 4 days LOL...I'm just worried buying used, but my previous vehicle (Ford Explorer) lasted 166k with very few issues. Only got rid of it because of the high miles and worrying that something major was gonna go wrong.

jmiller

Reaction score
I bought a used 2018 limited with 4k miles in 2019. At 8k I had an issue with my transmission doing something similar to what your describing. Ford had to keep my car for 3 weeks and finally had to rebuild the tranny. At 15k miles my dvd system went out and they had to replace one of the headrests. While doing so they tore my seat and tried to give it back with a botched stitch job. Ultimately they had to take the car for 4 days and have the seat redone. This weekend at 30k I was driving down the road.. heard a loud pop about 2 miles from my house get home and my transmission is leaking allll over. Had to get it towed to dealership and am awaiting a response as to what's wrong. Planning to dump this pile of shit before my warranty is up. First and last Ford I'll ever own.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
My F150 has done this a time or two as well...

OP
OP
Corps8404

Corps8404

Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys....I think I know what the issue is now. When we come to complete stops the engine cuts-off (some EPA thing) then when we press the accelerator everything (engine, trans, etc.) all starts back up. This feature can be turned off from what I understand. My fingers are crossed that there are no issues with the new (used) purchase. Glad this forum is here to exchange good information.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys....I think I know what the issue is now. When we come to complete stops the engine cuts-off (some EPA thing) then when we press the accelerator everything (engine, trans, etc.) all starts back up. This feature can be turned off from what I understand. My fingers are crossed that there are no issues with the new (used) purchase. Glad this forum is here to exchange good information.

4DTech makes a plug in memorizer that will memorize what setting you last chose for auto start/stop or if you disable it permanently in a tune or via a programmer for 4D. I think you might be able to do it with forscan as well but others would need to confirm. I did the 4D memorizer.

OP
OP
Corps8404

Corps8404

Reaction score
MX Racer thanks....I'll look into that. Now I'm worried about the sound when I start the vehicle. It sounds like a diesel for about 2secs then no issues....sounds normal. I'm not sure if that's the turbos making that noise or what. Do you know?

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MX Racer thanks....I'll look into that. Now I'm worried about the sound when I start the vehicle. It sounds like a diesel for about 2secs then no issues....sounds normal. I'm not sure if that's the turbos making that noise or what. Do you know?

very brief rattle is cam phasers. Pretty decent size job, covered under warranty by dealer. If the rattle lasts longer it would be the drivers side turbo. Also covered under warranty.

OP
OP
Corps8404

Corps8404

Reaction score
OMG....oh well. Guess that's what happens when you buy a used vehicle with 37k miles on it. We never had any major issues with our 2011 Explorer limited and just assumed the quality would be the same or better on a newer Expedition. Oh well, we do have the warranty still, I just hate for it to be in the shop for a long time, plus sometimes more goes wrong when you get it back LOL.
Thanks MX Racer!