2020 Expedition engine noise and sunroof noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jose gonzalez jr

Reaction score
We have a 2020 Expedition with 8k miles. I noticed around 2k miles the engine sounded a little louder than normal. I also noticed the sunroof would make a chatter noise when you open or closed the glass part of it. In its first oil change I mentioned the concerns to the service advisor. They are waiting on Ford to see what they want to do about the engine noise. The engine noise is only after it sits for a few hours and for the first seconds its not real loud but after 5 seconds it gets louder, almost like a diesel engine. It will be noisy for 10 to 15 seconds then go away, the mechanic thinks its a cam phaser or a lifter. They haven't got authorization from Ford to do anything with the engine noise. For the sunroof the mechanic says it needs new rails, they ordered the parts. I'm just posting this for any new buyers, I spent hours researching on this forum and thought the 2020 had the updated cam phasers. Oh and now since we are zoned in the engine noise we also noticed a transmission clunk on the 3-1 downshift. Its intermittent but I can duplicate it most of the time. I'll post what they find wrong with the complaints.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When in 2020 did you purchase it? Was it a factory order, or off a dealer lot?

The updated parts were supposed to be in the factory production line supply chain in fall 2019...

OP
OP
J

jose gonzalez jr

Reaction score
We bought it in august of last year and it was a dealer stock vehicle. I’ll have to check the built date. I just haven’t seen any one with a 2020 on this forum having the cam phasers replaced. I’m hoping that’s all it is.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2020 Expedition with 8k miles. I noticed around 2k miles the engine sounded a little louder than normal. I also noticed the sunroof would make a chatter noise when you open or closed the glass part of it. In its first oil change I mentioned the concerns to the service advisor. They are waiting on Ford to see what they want to do about the engine noise. The engine noise is only after it sits for a few hours and for the first seconds its not real loud but after 5 seconds it gets louder, almost like a diesel engine. It will be noisy for 10 to 15 seconds then go away, the mechanic thinks its a cam phaser or a lifter. They haven't got authorization from Ford to do anything with the engine noise. For the sunroof the mechanic says it needs new rails, they ordered the parts. I'm just posting this for any new buyers, I spent hours researching on this forum and thought the 2020 had the updated cam phasers. Oh and now since we are zoned in the engine noise we also noticed a transmission clunk on the 3-1 downshift. Its intermittent but I can duplicate it most of the time. I'll post what they find wrong with the complaints.

Hey, can you post a video of the engine noise?? This could be the phasers or the turbo rattle.

if you press the gas pedal all the way while pushing the start, the engine will crank but not start.

you can try to crank it for 5-10 seconds before starting. This will circulate the oil to the cams. If the noise isn’t there when it starts, then most probably the cam phasers are the culprit.

OP
OP
J

jose gonzalez jr

Reaction score
So I went out this morning and stepped on the brake pedal and throttle for 15 seconds to prime the engine oil system. I then turned the engine on and it did not make the loud noise. This was the first time I tried this so I’ll try it 2 more times to verify that it’s a oil pressure related problem. Most likely the cam phasers I’m hoping. We really like this vehicle and want to keep it for a long time.

bcb97

Reaction score
Jose, did you ever resolve this? We have a 2020 and it's been great so far, 12k miles. I was hoping too that we do not run into the cam phaser issue. The TSB covers 3.5 engines with build dates Nov. 30, 2019 and older. Sounds like yours would be newer than this TSB. My wife's build date is 01/2020 so not far from yours.

As far as the sunroof, my wife's was making a sticking sound when she opened it. I cleaned the edge of the glass and then lubed it with 3M silicone paste and it works great now. There is a YouTube video of a guy doing this on a F150.