2020 Expedition up in flames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckTexan

Reaction score
That seems odd to me, an engine bay fire before the first oil change would raise a red flag in my eyes. At least to where you'd think you might want to investigate a potential cause, $70k vehicles spontaneously combusting isn't a good thing imo. I've driven some real shitboxes in my life and never experienced anything close to this. I've even had a fuel line leak all over a motor and not catch fire.
Agreed. My Lada 4x4 never let me down like that.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a bad burning smell with my 2019 Expedition and I brought it to the dealer. Of course they couldn't duplicate the smell. I just had a 2000 miles road trip after I got it back from the dealer and the burning smell showed up couple times with smoke coming out of engine bay in front of the passenger. I really don't know what to except having documented in case my Expedition is on fire lol.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's made international news. Do you know details of the fire?
I don't, strangely enough though, I was trying not to jump to conclusions too fast. From the looks of it, there seems to be far more smoke coming from the passenger compartment, then the engine compartment. Which would lead me to believe maybe it was an electrical issue or, could have just been somebody that left a crappy cell phone plugged in for too long and the lithium battery decided to blow up. But seriously, since my vehicle is always garaged, I'm going to put a smoke detector in the garage that is actively monitored. Kind of sucks because I'm sure I'll set it off every time I'm welding or doing other work in the garage for fun. But it's better that I know if something catches fire.

dave91gt

Reaction score
Have a coworker that “had“ a newer Jeep SUV. I’m thinking Renegade. Anyway, from new, it had all sorts of electrical gremlins. Dealer documented but never isolated it. She was traveling on the interstate after the final “no problem found” visit and suddenly had smoke coming from the dash. By the time she got stopped, flames were coming from the vents. She frantically got her 18 month old granddaughter out with the help of a passerby. She said by the time she got away it had already spread to the front seats. It burned to the ground. The dealer gave her a new “loaner” wrangler while it got sorted. Stellantis contacted her and basically asked if she liked the Wrangler. She settled by keeping the Wrangler minus all payments and other costs with the other one. Ironically at that time, my wife had a 2018 Wrangler that had all kinds of electrical gremlins. Random radio blaring and non responsive, hvac controls going dead, etc. we traded it on the 19 Expy we have now. Fires are definitely scary I’m sure when your driving down the road. Glad in the OP story everyone was ok. New vehicles are rolling computers surrounded by all kinds of crazy flammable parts. most Vehicles have at least some aluminum panels. Magnesium too.

PNWExpy

Reaction score
Sheesh… good to practice some “get the kids out as fast as possible” drills but don’t tell my wife about these things catching fire. She’ll never drive it again!

Also, the rear hatch being electronically controlled means the dog is most likely not gunna get out unless someone can brake the window and manage to open the crate with with the hatch closed.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And to add to it, there was this less than a mile from where I live. Luckily the dog in back was rescued by police.

Truly nervous for my kids strapped into car seats, not to mention that mine is garaged all the time, this happened outdoors, now do I have to worry about my house going with it?
Just saw this on Fox News. Looks like my old "stompin" grounds. Apparently, doors wouldn't open so Deputy had to break out side and back window. Definitely looking for a fire extinguisher this week!

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't read every post in this thread but the vehicle owner needs to report this incident to NHTSA.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently, doors wouldn't open so Deputy had to break out side and back window. Definitely looking for a fire extinguisher this week!
that is concerning. A fire by itself is bad enough but doors not opening raises the risk to another level, if indeed the doors would not open. Thats a major safety hazard.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, you can tell he was trying to open it, likely means the electrical system was shot by then. Definitely scary.

bjohnson425

Reaction score
Brining up an old thread... I know its a 2020, but wondering if the new recall could be a culprit. I have seen other posts/ videos on youtube of 4th gens burning that aren't in this recall range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65