2020 Expedition Sync 3 screen goes black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamIAm235

Reaction score
I have searched this forum and have seen there are others with similar issues but not exact. Occasionally, the Sync screen will go black, the sound will shut off, and I will have to reset by holding power and fast forward button. Once I do this, everything works fine. This seems to be happening more frequently. It's really annoying as I have to hear my wife complain about it as this is her vehicle. It appears everyone points to the APIM. The vehicle is out of warranty. Any suggestions for an inexpensive test and fix? All the threads say the manufacturer has the AIPM on backorder, which tells me this is a bigger problem than they will want to admit.

Last edited:

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have searched this forum and have seen there are others with similar issues but not exact. Occasionally, the Sync screen will go black, the sound will shut off, and I will have to reset by holding power and fast forward button. Once I do this, everything works fine. This seems to be happening more frequently. It's really annoying as I have to hear my wife complain about it as this is her vehicle. It appears everyone points to the APIM. The vehicle is out of warranty. Any suggestions for an inexpensive test and fix? All the threads say the manufacturer has the AIPM on backorder, which tells me this is a bigger problem than they will want to admit.
Have you recently performed an update? Was it OTA or 3rd party? What year is the vehicle? If you have recently performed an update, especially 3rd party, a factory reset may fix the issue. You will most likely have to put all your settings back in. But this sometimes fixes anomalies after an update.

Judah144

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Fortunately for me, I had an extended warranty and took it into the dealership to have the AIPM module replaced. The total cost for the repair was $1300 but I only had to pay my deductible.

gmanater

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition Max and have the exact same symptoms. The first time it occurred was about Oct 10th, but a restart resolved it. Since Oct 21st or so we have to do the Power + Forward hold down. It happens randomly, for some reason more for my wife...

Mine is on the auto update via WIFI at my house, so I assume it was a recent update. I will check the version and get back on it.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same and the dealer is fixing it along with other things. Not sure if they are just updating or new parts. I will see when I get it back. Along with going black mine would drop my hot spot and I would have to reset the whole system.

bobnely

Reaction score
I had the same problem but like @sixstring said a new update came out a month ago and so far no more problems.

gmanater

Reaction score
Looks like I was not on the latest update. Did the USB update last night and will report back if issue continue. FYI update took about 15 min or so to apply on my 2020.

tweakeraz

Reaction score
I had the same issue as well. Also had slowness in the interface. Dealer replaced APIM under warranty and no issues since.