2020 Platinum headlight assembly upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElJefe1917

Reaction score
Anyone know or have heard of an upgrade to the 2020 Expy headlight assembly? I know Morimoto said if there is enough interest they would build some. Otherwise I was thinking of downgrading from the sealed led's if possible. I want brighter headlights.
Cheers

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’ve got the best headlight assembly you can get already. Also the wiring harness is not the same between the halogen assemblies and the LED so you’d need to wire in new connectors and figure out the correct pinning.

OP
OP
E

ElJefe1917

Reaction score
Dammit. Just like the look of the Morimoto headlights and how different they look on their f150s

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no aftermarket headlight assembly support for this generation and I don't think there will be for a few more years. Could you take apart a projector halogen housing and retrofit in different projectors. Yes. Would this be wise move. Not likely. The F150 has a lot of aftermarket support while the expedition, which utilizes a modified version of the same platform, is like the red headed step child... Most folks have been ditching the projector housings and installing the LED housings with an aftermarket harness adapter and using Forscan to reprogram the vehicle for LED lights.

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
We had a Max Limited with the halogens and did a full conversion to the factory LEDs. For us, it made a huge difference, but most will just replace just the halogen bulb to LED. The difference is $30-80 for bulbs alone vs the $1000-1200 for the conversion/retrofit if you do it yourself.

Forscan is the onboard software Ford uses to control various things in the vehicle. VERY cool and helpful for more than just the headlights (for example, I got rid of the double honk and a few adjustments to the infotainment display)

bryz_expy

Reaction score
$1000-1200 for a retrofit? That’s seems extremely cheap seeing that the factory LED housings are more than that individually. I already have the LED OEM housing on my Platinum but having a loaner with halogens I felt like I was blind at night.

I had Morimoto XB hybrid LEDs housings in my 18 F150 and I didn’t think the low beam pattern was that good. Happy I sold them quickly before trading it in. Looked nicer than the halogens but not the visibility I was expecting.

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
I was in for $500-600 each light assembly (used but good condition from eBay) plus 350 for the wire harness (custom ordered from black magic lighting). Costs were further offset when I sold the set of stock halogens back on eBay.
Black magic lighting initially offered me a complete plug and play kit with factory LED lights, harness, forscan coding instructions for 3500, irc but obviously went a different route using their harness and coding.

Still, would be nice if we get more aftermarket options...