2022 expedition vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cstiles

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback! It’s very helpful to hear/compare others experiences. I appreciate it!

OP
OP
C

cstiles

Reaction score
in my opinion, Hankooks are junk. I guess I got lucky the plant threw General on mine, I don’t love them.

Im thinking it was around 5000 miles maybe less when it wasn’t brought up anymore.

With a new vehicle we become hyper alert to things. combine that with ignorance and high expectations we start building a case in our heads. All I know is my personal experience. or really my wife's experience, she didnt want to drive it a year ago. every click, shutter and vibration and new sound. All those concerns and questions are gone, she drives it every day. I suppose her and “Red” have gotten used to each other.

I’ve learned a lot here on the
Those are certainly some good points.

Skud

Reaction score
So, I think I know what you mean, and I may have experienced the same thing. Does your Expedition have CCD?

I thought I was going crazy, but I swear that when I have tire balance issues the vehicle rides very stiff/rough. I've noticed it a few times:

1) When I first drove it off the lot, I found it was pretty stiff, but got used to it. I noticed that over 70mph the stock tires were out of balance. I got them road-force balanced and I swear it rode 100% better in all conditions, not just over 70mph.

2) I've been going back and forth with TireRack over a set of winter wheels/tires that they can't get right. Seems to be an issue with the hub bore on the wheels being too large and the wheels don't center properly (~87.5mm vs 87.1mm). If I hand tighten each lug by hand 1/4 turn at time, I can get them centered, but they go out within a day or so. When I do get them centered there is a noticeable difference in ride quality and as they off-center the ride becomes very stiff.

So, I wonder if the CCD is noticing a wheel or wheels out of balance and translating that into road quality - messing up CCD?

Riley

s1000pre

Reaction score
I have a 2022 XLT. I have felt the vibration while driving. I chalked it up to the road since it’s been intermittent. I’ll keep my antennas up and pay more attention. I’m currently dealing with a rear right tire that has 1/16” less tread than the other three. The RR toe-in was out of alignment for the first 7k miles. The tech noticed the wear during an oil change. Crappy quality control during the build. I have never had a car out of alignment from the factory before, and I have owned about 40 cars, most of them new.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also thought maybe some of what I'm feeling is the tires. It has Hankook Dynapro all terrains on now, I was thinking switching to an all season tire may help with road roughness some? When you say yours settled down, how long did that take? Thanks for your reply!
I thought it did it in park. Tires don't enter into it if the truck isn't moving.

OP
OP
C

cstiles

Reaction score
I thought it did it in park. Tires don't enter into it if the truck isn't moving.
There is a very slight vibration in park, then rougher/more noticeable when driving. Maybe the park vibration is just normal for that engine and I’m not used to it?

OP
OP
C

cstiles

Reaction score
So, I think I know what you mean, and I may have experienced the same thing. Does your Expedition have CCD?

I thought I was going crazy, but I swear that when I have tire balance issues the vehicle rides very stiff/rough. I've noticed it a few times:

1) When I first drove it off the lot, I found it was pretty stiff, but got used to it. I noticed that over 70mph the stock tires were out of balance. I got them road-force balanced and I swear it rode 100% better in all conditions, not just over 70mph.

2) I've been going back and forth with TireRack over a set of winter wheels/tires that they can't get right. Seems to be an issue with the hub bore on the wheels being too large and the wheels don't center properly (~87.5mm vs 87.1mm). If I hand tighten each lug by hand 1/4 turn at time, I can get them centered, but they go out within a day or so. When I do get them centered there is a noticeable difference in ride quality and as they off-center the ride becomes very stiff.

So, I wonder if the CCD is noticing a wheel or wheels out of balance and translating that into road quality - messing up CCD?

Riley
It is a 2022 xlt 4x4 not sure what suspension it has.

42pilot

Reaction score
I can’t say I experienced what you are describing but was not satisfied with ride. At 1700 miles I had the Generals replaced with Michelin Defender LTX/MS tires. I like the ride a lot better now considering the 22 inch rims.
Just did the same and the difference in ride and towing is night and day. Driving in heavy rains here in Florida is no big deal either. Great tires.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a very slight vibration in park, then rougher/more noticeable when driving. Maybe the park vibration is just normal for that engine and I’m not used to it?
Okay, I'm admittedly old. But, would somebody please explain to me how a vibration while in motion and also while in Park (not moving) can be caused by tires or wheels? The engine? Put a glass of water on it and see if it moves. It is a vibration! Do you feel it under your ass? In the steering wheel? When the brakes are applied? Does it get worse at different speeds? Not like we're are launching a missile.

OP
OP
C

cstiles

Reaction score
Okay, I'm admittedly old. But, would somebody please explain to me how a vibration while in motion and also while in Park (not moving) can be caused by tires or wheels? The engine? Put a glass of water on it and see if it moves. It is a vibration! Do you feel it under your ass? In the steering wheel? When the brakes are applied? Does it get worse at different speeds? Not like we're are launching a missile.
I’m not claiming to be a mechanic, just stating my experience the best I can. There is no need for rudeness. For the record, I’m also not asking anyone to diagnose this issue (if there is an issue at all) I am simply asking if any other owners of this specific vehicle have had similar issues/experiences. If you find my question beneath you, feel free to scroll past. I appreciate everyone who has taken time to comment respectfully. I didn’t join this discussion inflate my ego, but rather to learn from the experience of others.