2022 Limited Max - can’t handle the bumps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all. Renting an almost new 2022 Expedition Max limited for a family trip. First time driving a full size SUV, and since I’m considering one in the near future, this 7 day trial period is perfect.

Pros- space (we have 7 in our party, and the Max is probably overkill!), power (never lacking, I even like the sound it makes) brakes feel great, infotainment screen is crisp and fast (wireless CarPlay a nice touch), cabin is hushed (I can hear all my passengers at highway speeds), looks (big and imposing, love the front end refresh). Wish it had captain chairs but the tilt away seat access is very clever.

Cons- the ride. It feels like it “crashes” over imperfections, and every little bump gets felt through the wheel and seats. Very noticeable. An example: second row passenger talking while going over road imperfections at moderate speeds will cause his voice to waiver. Was honestly expecting a cushy ride that can soak up the bumps. Stock Limited 20” are on the truck.

Is this the norm for this model and/or big utes in general? Lack of air suspension? Again I don’t have a good comparison point (I have my eye on the GM triplets and a GLS but haven’t test driven them yet) and my daily is a big sedan (LS500).

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does this have the CCD Suspension (active) ?
Most expy models are designed for street and street handling. The 20" rims will not absorb bumps well and the suspension is designed for handling much like a race car where it turns great and no roll. I have a Timberline and it absorbs bumps like butter albeit its the off road version of the expy. IMO the harshness is due to

- 20" Wheels
- Type of suspension (CDC or Normal) I do not know the difference between the 2 in terms of cushion.

Most people like the look and handling of 20" and bigger rims, but going down in rim size is one of the easiest way to get softer suspension.
The 2023 Ford Raptor R has 37" tires on 17" rims for a reason.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Does this have the CCD Suspension (active) ?
Most expy models are designed for street and street handling. The 20" rims will not absorb bumps well and the suspension is designed for handling much like a race car where it turns great and no roll. I have a Timberline and it absorbs bumps like butter albeit its the off road version of the expy. IMO the harshness is due to

- 20" Wheels
- Type of suspension (CDC or Normal) I do not know the difference between the 2 in terms of cushion.

Most people like the look and handling of 20" and bigger rims, but going down in rim size is one of the easiest way to get softer suspension.
The 2023 Ford Raptor R has 37" tires on 17" rims for a reason.
I’m afraid I can’t tell what type of suspension it has. Is there a mode in the menu and/or way to discern this?

rpw2021

Reaction score
Cold is at 50. Seems high to me, but as mentioned this is a rental and I’m not familiar with big utes. We have 7 and full luggage if that makes any difference.

I have that exact car - '22 Limited Max (with HD tow, no CCD). I find the ride to be quite smooth, albeit not the same as a sedan. I bit more truck-like, but not harsh, at all.

Recommended tire pressures are 39 cold, so that will make a pretty big difference. Mine was delivered with 55psi, probably to avoid flat spots while it sat in a lot in Kentucky for four months.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I have that exact car - '22 Limited Max (with HD tow, no CCD). I find the ride to be quite smooth, albeit not the same as a sedan. I bit more truck-like, but not harsh, at all.

Recommended tire pressures are 39 cold, so that will make a pretty big difference. Mine was delivered with 55psi, probably to avoid flat spots while it sat in a lot in Kentucky for four months.
Thanks. I’ve been digging in the forums, and it seems that the factory indeed ships them at 50psi. I took the rental at 1600 miles, so that probably explains it. I’ll need to find a tire pressure gauge and lower it.

On a side note, ok to fill with regular (87 octane) or does this beast need premium?

rpw2021

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve been digging in the forums, and it seems that the factory indeed ships them at 50psi. I took the rental at 1600 miles, so that probably explains it. I’ll need to find a tire pressure gauge and lower it.

On a side note, ok to fill with regular (87 octane) or does this beast need premium?

Lots of discussion on the forum about octane. You won't hurt it using 87, for sure. You might enjoy the driving more and/or get better mileage with higher grades.

rpw2021

Reaction score

I should add that I have run mostly 87 so far and like it just fine. I'm always in eco mode, though.

Also, the rear compartment lid (under the floor in the way back) on mine would rattle pretty annoyingly until I figured out that the rattle was from the seam where the two lid panels meet. Added some thin foam weatherstripping and the car is silent over bumps.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Def lower your air pressure. For ride, i felt 34 - 36psi was the trucks sweet spot for 20in wheels. If your limited rental has 20in rims, it does not have ccd. If you're considering one for for purchase, ccd will give you a car like ride that's smoother than anything this side of coils. However, epy is the only truck in its class that does not offer any type of air spring.