2022 SPP: Flashing Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripoli

Reaction score
I made a somewhat aggressive passing maneuver yesterday and was suddenly met with a loss of power and a flashing check engine light that went away after a minute or two of driving. No issues since. I've read in another thread this may be indication of a misfire, but this is a 2022 with only 11,000 miles on it. What gives? I can obviously take it to the dealer to pull the code, but what could they actually do to address it?

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct. A flashing check engine light means an engine misfire. Why not invest in an OBD II reader and find out what codes, if any, it's still showing? The dealer may not be willing to do anything since the problem appears to be gone, albeit perhaps temporarily.

Last edited:

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flashing CEL is indicative of a Type A misfire where there is no combustion taking place in one or more cylinders. If the light isn't on still there will definitely be history codes stored in the PCM. Take it to the dealer and they will be able to pull those codes and diagnose the issue.

pmsdaddy

Reaction score
I also have this issue with my 2021 starting at 25k miles usually when I tow a small 3k lbs camping trailer uphill. The first time it happened the Ford App gave me a notification on my phone of an engine misfire. Car was in limp mode with no power, had to drive uphill in 2nd gear with no boost because there were no turnouts.

I took it to my local dealer and they cleared the code and said they couldn't reproduce it so nothing could be done to it.

It happened again at 30k miles and this time I took it to another dealer that was farther away but they said was no code thrown. So they also couldn't do much about it.

Sounds like it's more common than just the OP.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have this issue with my 2021 starting at 25k miles usually when I tow a small 3k lbs camping trailer uphill. The first time it happened the Ford App gave me a notification on my phone of an engine misfire. Car was in limp mode with no power, had to drive uphill in 2nd gear with no boost because there were no turnouts.

I took it to my local dealer and they cleared the code and said they couldn't reproduce it so nothing could be done to it.

It happened again at 30k miles and this time I took it to another dealer that was farther away but they said was no code thrown. So they also couldn't do much about it.

Sounds like it's more common than just the OP.

On your first visit to your Ford dealer for the misfire, they were able to find one or more stored codes - which is proof there was an issue that needed repair. They cleared the code and sent you on your way - instead of diagnosing and repairing the issue indicated by the fault code(s) under terms of your power train warranty. That is called the brush-off.

Since the issue recurred, you have something that needs diagnosing and repair.

pmsdaddy

Reaction score
On your first visit to your Ford dealer for the misfire, they were able to find one or more stored codes - which is proof there was an issue that needed repair. They cleared the code and sent you on your way - instead of diagnosing and repairing the issue indicated by the fault code(s) under terms of your power train warranty. That is called the brush-off.

Since the issue recurred, you have something that needs diagnosing and repair.
I agree with you 100%! at 31k miles now.. but to be completely honest I do not have a lot of time to deal with dropping of my car for days. I don't have any faith in the Ford dealerships around southern California.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire