2022 Timberline Vibration When Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manhunter338

Reaction score
Three weeks ago, I bought a very slightly used 2022 Expedition Timberline with all available options and, for the most part, I love it. However, I just took a four-hour trip with a 6x12, 1,800 lb., tandem axle Interstate Loadrunner cargo trailer and noticed a very pronounced vibration (feels like the driveline; no transmission of the vibration to the steering wheel) when accelerating up a hill. It occurred when empty and with a piece of exercise equipment that only weighs about 200 lbs - well under the rated towing capacity.

The vibration does not occur when not towing, only when I have the trailer attached. It just happened yesterday, 12/29, so I haven't been to the dealer yet. Since it only occurs when towing and accelerating - even mildly - up a hill (not necessarily steep), I'm inclined to think it's a transmission related problem. Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas for isolating the cause are more than welcome. Cheers!

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I (XLT MAX) have this vibration occasionally when towing a very light trailer. I have a single axle utility trailer, and depending on where the load is in the trailer it vibrates, typically, when accelerating.

I added sumosprings (rubber donuts which fit in the rear suspension coils) and it helped. Pulling a heavy trailer I get no vibration at all.

I also replaced the rear shocks, as they were leaking, and it diminished the vibration, also.

I don’t tow as much, these days, and only short journeys so haven’t really investigated too much. My feeling is that a small amount of tongue weight puts into some kind of resonance.

I believe other people have experienced it, but it’s not universal.

k2sb2003

Reaction score
I had this issue years ago and didn’t realize it was the wrong size ball. I needed the 2 1/4” and was using the 2”. Luckily it never popped up because it had enough adjustment in the shank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani