2024 Expedition Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IowaHawkeye1986

Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchased a 2024 Expedition Max XLT with the Class IV tow hitch setup. How do I truly know how much the vehicle can tow or if I have the 6k or 9k tow capacity? Is there a place to check this with the VIN?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchased a 2024 Expedition Max XLT with the Class IV tow hitch setup. How do I truly know how much the vehicle can tow or if I have the 6k or 9k tow capacity? Is there a place to check this with the VIN?

What it is capable of doesn't mean you would feel comfortable with. I suggest installing Sumosprings helper and Hellwig antisway bar, at least for the rear suspension, if you want to use it to tow any weight above 2000lbs.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has the trailer reverse guidance knob on the dash you have HD Tow. If it doesn't you don't.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I suggest installing Sumosprings helper and Hellwig antisway bar,
Maybe if you're Hotshotting on a daily basis, otherwise towing up to 9300 pounds (assuming HD Tow) is a breeze. But since tongue weight can be as much as 15% of the trailer weight and a 9300 pound trailer could put nearly 1400 pounds on the ball you can easily exceed max cargo capacity with notihlng in the truck.

Overkill always works though.

-- Chuck