22" All Season Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What non-OEM tires are you running?

I'm looking to put better tires on my wife's 2018 Platinum Max in the next week or so. The factory Hankook tires have held up to everyday driving but aren't great in snow. I'm tempted to buy a set of Blizzaks DM2s but we have a lot of warm days in the winter (Colorado) and worry about sloppy handling and wear when warm.

Michelin LTX Defender M/S - only comes in 110H vs 114H load rating. Discount Tire is pushing these even though Michelin doesn't recommend them due to the load rating.

Nitto Terra Grappler G2- not the highest snow rating. Potentially more road noise

CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT A/T - I've never run Conti's

Plati

Reaction score
Does Falken Wildpeak AT3W come in that size? My favorite for summer and winter. Lots of ski trips, cross country interstate, Forest Service roads in summer. Checkitout

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Nito Tera Grappler G2’s. They do have a buzz on the road. I have them in a 35x12.50x20 on my Expy and I would imagine they are louder due to the size. But they do have a buzz over the street stock tires. They are a pretty aggressive all terrain IMO. I have ran the BFG AT KO2’s, Toyo AT’s, Toyo AT2’s, Toyo MT’s and the Toyo RT’s. The RT’s suck in snow and wet conditions so bad I think they are dangerous. Goodyear wranglers AT, MTR’s and duratrack’s. I have ran all kinds of large tires from Super Swamper, Micky Thompson.Parneli Jones to name a few and the G2’s have been my favorite AT tire to date. Next best overall tire for me is the Toyo MT, it’s a true AT tire that kills it everywhere they go. but to much for a luxury SUV. I do not have many miles on them to speak to how long they will last. I have had them on the rocks, mud, sand,snow and pavement and they are not the best at any of them but good at all of them. On my Expy of course, got bored with pickups and trying this thing out. Taking it to all the usual places even if it shouldn’t be there. If I could only find a 6” lift. It would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GB19XLT

Reaction score
I just recently got the Yokohoma Geolander A/T’s. Pretty good tire thus far.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What non-OEM tires are you running?

I'm looking to put better tires on my wife's 2018 Platinum Max in the next week or so. The factory Hankook tires have held up to everyday driving but aren't great in snow. I'm tempted to buy a set of Blizzaks DM2s but we have a lot of warm days in the winter (Colorado) and worry about sloppy handling and wear when warm.

In the same boat as you at the moment, and in Colorado myself. The Hankooks on our Expy are fine in summer, but I’ve hydroplaned with them coming from I-76 to I-70 in moderate rain and they’re not good in snow at all. Trying to sort this myself, looking for something I can put on for year-round use.

What I can tell you from my personal experience on other vehicles and some of the tires mentioned above: The Blizzak DMV2’s are great winter tires. I would not run them year-round. They’re soft and wear fast, but handle great on ice and snow. Also be sure you get the right load rating of 116. I’ve seen people put these with a load rating of 112 or so on their Expy or Yukon or whatever and they’re lucky to get two winters out of them even only running them as winter tires.

Tera Grappler G2’s have been great on a Jeep of ours, but I would not put them on the Expy as I don’t think they perform well on icy roads. They’re great in dirt, mud and snow, especially deeper snow.

I’m personally leaning toward the Goodyear Duratracs or BFG AT tires. I have the BFG’s on our F-350 and they’ve been great. Duratracs were great on my 3rd gen Expy.

...part of my hesitation thus far is I’ve been considering new wheels and have not sorted that out just yet. Thinking I’m going with 18’s. Not happy with the 22’s on my Limited. That size is fine if this were always a clean road mall crawler.

WrekEE

Reaction score
I drove my wife's Expedition today in the Colorado snow and man they are awful!. Of course we got about a foot in last 2 days. My truck with the K02's did very well. Wish they made the K02's for the Expy 22.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stock 22" tires are absolutely useless in the snow. i really want to find a good snow tire but like the op, i would end up having to leave them on for a good 4-5 months and may possibly only receive 15-20 days total of snow. i feel the rest is just cold asphalt and even some weirdly warm days thrown in. i think i may just have them ready for on the fly changing. i have a jack, compressor, and impact so it is not a lot of work to put them on when it snows or at least when there are some good indicators it is coming.

Mothnuts

Reaction score
I went ahead with the Michelin Defender for our Expedition, even tho the tire wasn’t rated high enough. I have 15,000 miles on them now, and two co-workers that each have about 30,000 on theirs (one Nav and one Max) without a single problem. I believe they are the best all season tire on the market. I’m debating even putting them on my F250 in a 295, but I’m scared they won’t look good compared to an A/T tire.