22" All Season Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
All season tires don't cut it with me for snow … on an Expy.
Might be ok on a Bimmer but nExpy

IMHO

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season +. Great tires. Got a lot of life out of them on my 2017 Explorer. Wife has them on the Edge also.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ have been excellent year-round tires for us on other vehicles. I considered them for our Expy. Scorpion Winter are pretty much the same, but softer. The Winter are really, really good on ice yet will wear out too fast if you run them year-round. And yet, I just ordered Duratracs for our Limited Max as I’d like something a little bit more aggressive to match the larger size of the Expy. I’m going from 22” wheels to 18” wheels with the Duratracs. Should have them Monday. Have never liked the Hankook Dynapro HT’s that came on the Expy... They wear well and ride nice, just not great on wet or sloppy roads and totally worthless with a slight bit of ice/ snow/ slush.

Plati

Reaction score
so you would do dedicated ice/snow tires?
Too many factors for a one size fits all solution but good snow rated AT tires are closest. Even that when tread wears down I only use in summer and buy new ones for winter use.

I used to buy snow tires like Blizzak when I had a cargo van, but you can't use those in summer so it's twice a year changing. PITA.

I was just in Whitefish MT and lots of people go with winter's and studs out there cause it's that hairy I guess.

I drive from NY to Colorado and Utah a lot of winter's and I can't have studs for the cross country so I currently have Kumho Road Venture AT51 and leave them on year round. Im driving to Florida with them now and like them in this WV & NC rainstorms we had today. Snow rated but good year round even in heat. Also good on Forest Service roads.

Ideally in Rocky mtns I'd prefer studded snow tires but everything is a compromise.

Tires that are optimized for ice aren't as good in snow and vice versa. Dedicated snow tires with soft rubber no go in summer. It's maddening!

Last edited:

Traditional

Reaction score
I just put on the Yokohama Geolander AT2015. So far like the tire. But they don't fill the wheel wells as much as stock 22s. I will run these for winter and will put the stock tires on for summer. I don't like the tire options for 22 and I didn't want to buy another set of rims.

ANGEL TORES

Reaction score
Just this past April I installed Bridgestone Dualler at my local Firestone. So far so good, these tires has even improved the feel of towing my camper. My experience of the Dualler is a very solid tire, traction in heavy rain is awesome and can't wait to feel how they do in the snow here in the storms of the northeast. Hope this helps, have a good day.

JERRY REGAN

Reaction score
I have just put Goodyear Trailmark(Walmart only). These are made for WalMart by Goodyear. Have had them on three SUV's and do great. Good road tire and great in snow. Currently on 2017 Expedition EL.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All season tires don't cut it with me for snow …

Concur ! "All season tires" are mostly marketing hype. The best you can hope for is a couple of deep, continuous channels around the tread that will let water out (prevent hydroplaning).

so you would do dedicated ice/snow tires?

Yes ! There have been studies that show "winter" tires (not M/S or "all season") on a 2WD vehicle perform better on hard packed snow and ice (what typical driver encounter the most) than any other tire on a 4WD vehicle !

GC2019

Reaction score
I swap out the whole thing to keep the 22” looking like new.
I bought a set of 20” wheels off of eBay with TPMS and delivery.
Bought a set of Toyo Celcius for winter only. Well worth it, and most will never have to buy another set of tires.

BADE9351-C9A7-417E-8430-B11050E36C93.png