'22 King Ranch - brake squeeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Air00Max

Reaction score
My wife's '22 King Ranch has had some rear brake squealing going on the last couple of weeks (just hit 5K miles). I took it into the dealership and the tech noted that he could "feel something going on" with the back brakes, but mechanically pads/rotors/calipers checked out. Dealership then offered a brake service for $180. WTF. Anyone else experienced any brake issues so quickly on their Expedition? If so, what was the issue/resolution?

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's '22 King Ranch has had some rear brake squealing going on the last couple of weeks (just hit 5K miles). I took it into the dealership and the tech noted that he could "feel something going on" with the back brakes, but mechanically pads/rotors/calipers checked out. Dealership then offered a brake service for $180. WTF. Anyone else experienced any brake issues so quickly on their Expedition? If so, what was the issue/resolution?

Thanks!

I have not experienced a similar situation as you - but your brake issues should be covered under the new-car warranty. Read your warranty folder.

Certain items (brakes, wiper blades, etc.) have a shorter warranty that the 3-year / 36,000 new-car warranty.

What did the dealer propose to do for a $180 brake service?

What Ford dealer are you dealing with? I live in Butler County, but go to a Ford dealer in Hamilton County.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks!
Why would they charge you for that? It should be under part warranty since they shouldn't go out that fast.

OP
OP
A

Air00Max

Reaction score
I have not experienced a similar situation as you - but your brake issues should be covered under the new-car warranty. Read your warranty folder.

Certain items (brakes, wiper blades, etc.) have a shorter warranty that the 3-year / 36,000 new-car warranty.

What did the dealer propose to do for a $180 brake service?

What Ford dealer are you dealing with? I live in Butler County, but go to a Ford dealer in Hamilton County.
For the $180 they proposed a brake and caliper service to "clean up the slides and pins." This was at Beechmont Ford, which is closest to me. I typically drive out to Lebanon Ford but Beechmont was able to get me in quicker.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine are squealing mildly as well particularly when braking from a slow speed. Ill just continue to watch and see...I do not know that squeaking brakes - unless hideously loud and defective, would be a warranty issue.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
Mine squeals alot. Started in the back but now sounds like all four corners. Planning to talk to dealership when I go in to change oil before winter. I also inspected the brakes on the lift last week and saw nothing that would cause squealing. Guessing it's the combination of pad and rotors.

VikingRaider

Reaction score
Very frustrating— I have the same issue. I've taken it to two different dealerships a total of 3 times. First time, I was told there was nothing wrong, and when I insisted they take a closer look, they found the right rear break pad hadn't been fully seated at the factory and "fixed it". For the next three days, it worked flawlessly, blissfully silent brakes. Then over the that weekend they started quietly squeaking, only at low speeds. The following week they were full volume squealing like an old rusted school bus. I took it back to the dealer (same I bought from) and they looked it over again and said there's nothing wrong, the brakes are in great shape — good job me for not slamming the breaks by the way (6000 miles) — and they can't replicate the sound. I took the truck out into the parking lot and recorded the sound, then brought it back and played them the videos on my phone. Then the senior guy pulled me aside and said look, it's an issue people see on F-150s and Expeditions. Basically there's nothing wrong safety-wise, it just makes noise. If we switch out for softer pads or harder pads, it will stop the sound, but it's not going to change much. He said if it's still doing it after 500-1000 miles to come back. What they'll do then, other than tell me it's fine, he couldn't say.

Last week I had a flat tire on the way to visit my mother-in-law some hour and a half from home. Luckily, she's on great terms with the local Ford dealer and got me in to the service department (small town, everyone is family) as soon as I limped into town. I asked THAT guy the same question about the brakes and he said it's because Ford shifted to poly-alloy parts. The aluminum in the parts is mixed with other metals and they rub differently and wear differently and corrode differently than the old style brakes of years past. With a vehicle as big as the Expy-Max, it's going to be loud and there's nothing anyone can do short of switching out brakes for aftermarket ones which he didn't recommend. He said it's all in the name of getting the almighty EPA ratings...lower weight means better gas mileage. Welcome to the future and embrace the suck.

F that. I paid $80,000 for a car that squeals like a twenty year old Pinto getting dry-reamed by a Dodge? Screw the EPA and gas milage, these brakes are like fingers on a chalkboard EVERY SINGLE TIME I slow down.

But luckily, "there's nothing wrong."

(I will note that outside the brake issue, I absolutely LOVE this vehicle and there's nothing else I can complain about. At all.)

Tuebor

Reaction score
Just noticed squealing rear brakes on my '22 Timberline a few days ago. 4900 miles. Thanks for letting me know it probably wasn't my imagination.

mlogan

Reaction score
Just noticed today at about 8k. I’ll keep an eye on it. Some pads do that (had a bmw that regularly made some noise) but seems odd on a Ford.