2nd Gen to 3rd Gen Brake Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kasonracing

Reaction score
Hi there, First time visitor to the forum.

My Father in Law owns a 2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 2wd 5.4. He has had a lot of problems with the brakes especially the fronts. Both front rotors warp. The pads gouge the rotors. There is lots of brake dust etc. He doesn't even tow with it, just driving mainly on country roads.

He has replaced the pads and rotors numerous times. The last time I did it for him using Bosch rotors and EBC pads. I noticed that one of the small springs was missing on one side, but didn't think that would cause both rotors to warp and gouge out. Everything else seemed to be working fine. Calipers seemed to move freely. I lubed the sliders. Almost a year later and the rotors are warped and gouged so bad that it is nearly undriveable.

This time I plan to replace the calipers and front brake lines as well. I think I'm gonna use factory Ford pads also. I thought that I had read somewhere in my research that someone had put calipers from a 3rd gen on their 2nd gen. The 3rd gen calipers were supposed to be a little beefier and maybe a better design I don't know. It looks like the caliper and mouting bracket are a different part #, but they use the same rotor and brake pads. Does anyone on here have any experience or higher knowledge on this? Any help or advice at all is appreciated.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont use factory pads...keeps dust down...i have an 04 and never had any warpping with rotors...then i changed them out to drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads...dont remember brand for them...no prob...you can get them on ebay all four corners for about $200 or slightly less

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your rear brake operation. If they are not working it puts the entire load on the front brakes. The result is more heat, which can warp rotors & you'll experience excessive pad wear. Changing calipers would only solve a problem of sticking seals/pistons. Changing brake lines would be tossing money away since the front brakes work. But if the rubber portion of the line has cracks then it would be wise to change them.

Another possibility is that he rides with one foot on the brake pedal. That too will increase the possibility of overheating the rotors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kasonracing

Reaction score
Good points. I wonder how I go about checking to see if the rears are doing their share of the work? I guess I could jack the rear up put the trans in neutral and try to turn the wheels with brakes applied? I need a temp gun to see how hot they are getting.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clamp off the front brake lines with vise grips. That would leave only the rears. Test at low speeds only and assume brake failure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kasonracing

Reaction score
I'm planning to check the rear brakes tomorrow like stamp suggested. I'm still curious though. Does anyone know if the 3rd gen calipers will fit a second gen?