Tapping noise 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cvovo6

Reaction score
Good afternoon expo lovers. I own a 2003 5.4 triton Eddie Bauer expo. Thing is solid and had been in the family since 2010. The other day I come outside from work and start it up drive off, and start hearing a tapping noise. First thing I say oh goodness not a valve tap. Then I listen even even closer and it goes away. Then it comes back at certain point of driving home. Weird. What do you guys think 285k on it. Regular oil changes, stays with Motorcraft oil along with Lucas. Any tips?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a mechanic's stethoscope to try and isolate where the tapping is coming from. Top end, or bottom end. Front or back of motor. Could be just a collapsed lifter, which is not a big deal to change. Hopefully nothing more serious than that.

Mechanic's Stethoscope on Amazon

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also Check the exhaust manifold. Leaking exhaust can also mimic the ticking. Check the back of the passenger side first.
Look for dark spots (from the exhaust escaping) at the edge where the exhaust manifold meets the block.