2nd row captain chairs versus 2nd row split bench with dogs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
You do realize the bench and the captains chairs have the same outside seats right?

They aren't the same if there's no opening. I didn't care about comparing the bench because I wanted the opening for my dogs to move freely back and forth from 2nd to 3rd row and the separation of my kids. It worked great in my old suburban and I wanted it again. Again, my needs and wants were different than others and that's ok with me.

explorersvt

Reaction score
Wondering how much it'd cost to purchase from dealer the bench seats and sell the captain chairs?
we attempted to go this route on my '19. I have 3 car seats so i required a bench and at the time it was nearly impossible to find a 2nd row bench platinum or limited. My dealer started pricing the 2nd row conversion and stopped looking up parts around the $2500 mark. The outboard seats had to be changed unless you want armrest holes in them. the bcm has to be flashed, switches in the cargo area to fold the seats and dash had to be replaced, which i believe even required a different trim panel for the rear, rear carpet kit, etc . It's definitely not easy like a tahoe or yukon. my dealer ended up sourcing my current '19 expy out of texas, i had to order a '21.

Last edited:

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They aren't the same if there's no opening. I didn't care about comparing the bench because I wanted the opening for my dogs to move freely back and forth from 2nd to 3rd row and the separation of my kids. It worked great in my old suburban and I wanted it again. Again, my needs and wants were different than others and that's ok with me.
Lol yes there is center flips down for a full pass through. LoL but whatever

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Then if you could find a nice little cooler to fill that hole it would work out in my case. Cover it all up with the fabric cargo liner and plop his bed on top.

Think a small cooler would fit in that hole?
Yes, I know I have seen discussion somewhere on the forum about putting a cooler in that location. Sounds like some make it work for a powered cooler/freezer. Do a search and I believe you will find some information.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We pack a ton of stuff in between those seats on the floor. Every time we grocery shop, thats the very first place we pack it as nothing flies around in that area like it could in the big open flat rear area. A weeks groceries fit there and by the front of the captains.

bwhinnen

Reaction score
To be honest if the bench had the flip down arm rest like our previous 2017 exploder did we would have been happy with either. But as it didn’t it was a little less appealing in the long run. When we realized what we could do with the extra space (cooler/fridge, etc) we were sold on the captains seats. We only have one gangly teenage son, so no need for the extra seating in the middle.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Do what fits your needs.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My one dog lies on the floor between the two captain chairs. I put a dog bed there for him now so its more comfy. My other dog usually lies on the floor behind the passenger seat or on the captains chair on the passenger side. I think he likes to keep an eye on me when I drive. LOL

bwhinnen

Reaction score
Oh, I should add for pets, again it could go either way depending on their needs and likes. I can see how a big flat area is appealing for bigger dogs, but can also see how the gap (for laying close and low) could also be appreciated for smaller pets.

We have cats and travel with them, they like the gap there to be able to lay in a bed, or in their cage in the back.