2nd row captain chairs versus 2nd row split bench with dogs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I should add for pets, again it could go either way depending on their needs and likes. I can see how a big flat area is appealing for bigger dogs, but can also see how the gap (for laying close and low) could also be appreciated for smaller pets.

We have cats and travel with them, they like the gap there to be able to lay in a bed, or in their cage in the back.

We have larger dogs (Golden Retrievers) so I sought out the bench so the whole floor would be flat but I can see a smaller dog fitting between the two captain chairs.

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Captains chairs in a suv is just dumb. Especially if your hauling kids on a regular basis. Bench seat all the way or buy a mini van. Small dog is in a crate, big dog is on a bed.

Wrong today. Capt chairs are the way to go. Folding, sliding, or climbing over a row, to get to the back, is just plain wrong no matter suv or van. Most folks, that use the third row, arent so hard up for that last seat that they need the bench

RussD89

Reaction score
I reckon I'll just be wrong and dumb according to Calidad. I typically have 5 people, 4, or just me in my expy. The 5th person gets the 3rd row bench to themselves. With a 2nd row split bench, they wouldn't have the same legroom in the 3rd row, or the personal space in the second if they were in the middle. When I haul 4 medium and large dogs (smallest at 50, largest around 110), I throw 4 blankets on top of the 3rd row laid down, leave the captains chairs up and each seat gets a couple blankets and in the floor to protect everything from them, and they all find their spots and lay down. After a couple 10 hour trips in a minivan 10 years ago with captains chairs, followed by a couple somewhat shorter road trips in a 4 door truck with 5 peeps, I decided I'd never buy a bench 2nd row for my own when I decided to buy new. My (bought used from my aunt) suburban before I got this thing had a 2nd row bench, and it confirmed yet again it wasn't for me and my usage.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking of the Bench, thats a great point, tall adults wouldn't have $hit for leg room in the 3rd row. Every time I sit in the 3rd row, I put my feet up in between the captain chairs and relax. Still Glad I don't have a park bench.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I reckon I'll just be wrong and dumb according to Calidad. I typically have 5 people, 4, or just me in my expy. The 5th person gets the 3rd row bench to themselves. With a 2nd row split bench, they wouldn't have the same legroom in the 3rd row, or the personal space in the second if they were in the middle. When I haul 4 medium and large dogs (smallest at 50, largest around 110), I throw 4 blankets on top of the 3rd row laid down, leave the captains chairs up and each seat gets a couple blankets and in the floor to protect everything from them, and they all find their spots and lay down. After a couple 10 hour trips in a minivan 10 years ago with captains chairs, followed by a couple somewhat shorter road trips in a 4 door truck with 5 peeps, I decided I'd never buy a bench 2nd row for my own when I decided to buy new. My (bought used from my aunt) suburban before I got this thing had a 2nd row bench, and it confirmed yet again it wasn't for me and my usage.
I guess Percilla switched from a panel van to a SUV for hauling dogs. LOL Yeah your a special case, most people haul people and 2.5 dogs.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chiming in, here, my dogs like the bench. One big advantage in the Ford vs the Chevy is there is a lot more floor space on the 2nd and 3rd row, so dogs can lie on the floor. However, I never tried the dogs with captains chairs, and the ability to walk to the 3rd row.

I will agree that captains chairs do have a more ‘upscale’ appeal. It depends on what you are after, and I don’t think one is better than the other.

honestly, though, minivans have a lot more practicality, but for some reason, putting captains chairs in a minivan isn’t ‘upscale”, cool, or executive.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be a silly question but for those that have 2nd row captain chairs how is traveling with them and your pets? I'm shopping around for a 4th gen Expy Platinum and all of them seem to have 2nd row captain chairs instead of split bench seats like I have now in my 3rd gen. With my current Expy, the whole bench lays down and with a dog cover my 120lb Rottie has all the space he needs. I'm just curious how the split captain chairs will be for him in folded position? Anybody traveling currently with large pets with the captain chair set up?

Bench seats are obviously more utilitarian but the captains chairs in the navigator make sitting in the back like flying in a private jet. So much nicer. We travel all the time with the kids and the dog. Dog goes all the way in the back. Third row down. Letting her sit on the seats would give me a panic attack lol.

5x10

Reaction score
My big dog would do better with a bench, every time I turn, he’s falling off the captains chairs

Doug Shumway

Reaction score
I’d you can’t find what you want...order it! That’s what I did and got exactly what I wanted. As far as price...I paid what I was getting pitched but no haggle room. I got a fair deal with everything I wanted. It took around 2 months. I was ok with that because I was in no hurry.

Demarrcus

Reaction score
I have a 3rd gen SSV without the third row, but has bench seats in the middle. I love it specifically because it is great for hauling my 220 lbs English mastiff everywhere and keeps him in the back instead of up front where he wants to “help” with driving.