3,000 Mile Fuel Report Part #2 (stock)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3,000K Fuel Report Part Deux
*Stock FX4, HD Tow, 3.73s, regular drive mode, 2wd, 87 octane:

With my mileage computer correction, 99% highway, temps ranging from 26 degrees to 76 degrees, with 650lbs of people and kit, I averaged 19.29 ACTUAL mpg (measured at the pump, not computer) over the 3100 miles stretch up and down the East Coast.

I had eight fill-ups during that period, trying to be consistent as possible and trying to find level ground at stations.

If I had to guess, it was 99.9 highway, some 60-90 minutes of idling, with several bathroom/coffee stops, one exhausting 30 minute stop-go crawl, and maybe 3 full throttle romps say 40 to 75 to give the engine some boost cleaning revs. Speeds nearly always ranged from 70-80mph, and If I had to average it I'd say 75 mph.

I baby it to begin with, but if I really tried I could have got to a 20 mpg average, but at that point I would almost be a nuisance on the road and the trip would become more uncomfortable. I also feel that I ran on the dreadful "winter gas" for a good portion of the trip--but who can tell at what pumps and states etc.

If all goes well, my next trip will have my 1.5 inch lift and spacers so we can "see" what some minor mods do. Might even have my bigger tires by then--we will see in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I averaged 19.29 ACTUAL mpg (measured at the pump, not computer) over the 3100 miles

This is about the same for me, w/eco mode, all highway and ACC active (with frequent driver input to account for the idiotic behavior of it at times). Similar speeds and a few highway trips east or west on the PA turnpike between Bucks County and Pittsburgh.

Really happy with this vehicle. There is nothing like a full sized SUV for long road trips. [emoji106][emoji41]

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was hoping for deeper in the 22mpg to be honest. I feel with future bigger tires and lift I will be lucky to see 17.7-18.3s...

Well you said it yourself, you gotta slow down. 65mph will get net you the 22mpg most def.

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you said it yourself, you gotta slow down. 65mph will get net you the 22mpg most def.

I never said I would be slowing down lol, especially with 70 mph speed limits. And if I do 50 mph I can get 28 miles to the gallon, but my big point is I wanted to get 22 mpg at 80 mph with the air on. Ford has pumped a lot of tech into this 9 turbo, puffed-up-*****-peanut shaped engine, with 48 gears gears and aeros into this thing so there are my druthers ;-)

Which is not going to happen realistically with this vehicle/engine/aero/weight.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never said I would be slowing down lol, especially with 70 mph speed limits. And if I do 50 mph I can get 28 miles to the gallon, but my big point is I wanted to get 22 mpg at 80 mph with the air on. Ford has pumped a lot of tech into this 9 turbo, puffed-up-*****-peanut shaped engine, with 48 gears gears and aeros into this thing so there are my druthers ;-)

Which is not going to happen realistically with this vehicle/engine/aero/weight.

I have the same setup and get the 19.5 @ 75-80 mph. I can get 22 with the help of strong Oklahoma tailwind :)