3" Body Lift Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The Expy is currently not my daily driver, but that will probably change in the next month or so. I have a 3" PA body lift, installed on the original rubber body mounts. I've noticed that the ride is really bad - shocks are newer Bilstein 4600s. I am considering getting the Energy Suspension poly mounts, but don't know if they are compatible with the 3" blocks. Any one know if they are compatible?

Not sure if I should put in the Energy Suspension poly mounts and get rid of the 3" body lift, and install a 2" coil spacer and re-indexed torsion key

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 3” body lift also. The body lift alone will not change the ride. All suspension is connected to original factory locations with a body lift. It’s definitely gonna want to body roll a little more. I also do not recommend the coil spacer and torsion lift. That will definitely ride rough. It will be a waste of your money if you’re looking for a factory type ride. I would check out your suspension bushings and see if anything is loose or worn out. I replaced my torsion lift with a 6” fabtech, it definitely does not ride like stock.

41FB9CCB-8B80-4CD6-BCA9-CB2BA936383B.jpeg

Dimz

Reaction score
I have the 2.5" lightweight spacers in the back and close to 3" lift in the front via re-indexed tortion keys. The Expedition rides great, even with 35"s. Everybody talks about a rough ride but I dont agree. I do 4 wheeling all the time. Yes, there is more wear on the tie rods and other moving joints due to the angle difference but that's the cost of wheeling. KYB monotubes in the front and ProComps in the back (for a softer touchdown). It feels good on the hwy! I thought it would change and do weird stuff like be a little less stable at high speed corners while running over cracks in the road and potholes but it did not change. Suspension is still very responsive.

hypercardriac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the 2.5" lightweight spacers in the back and close to 3" lift in the front via re-indexed tortion keys. The Expedition rides great, even with 35"s. Everybody talks about a rough ride but I dont agree. I do 4 wheeling all the time. Yes, there is more wear on the tie rods and other moving joints due to the angle difference but that's the cost of wheeling. KYB monotubes in the front and ProComps in the back (for a softer touchdown). It feels good on the hwy! I thought it would change and do weird stuff like be a little less stable at high speed corners while running over cracks in the road and potholes but it did not change. Suspension is still very responsive.

Agreed 100%.. spacers in the rear and I still have enuff flex to rub the 33”s on the frame rails. I did have to drop the diff 2 inches to keep from pulling the cv joints apart at the hub.. I also removed my sway bars, and it’s still not horrible.. I’d say something other than the body lift is to blame or your sensitivity to change in vehicle behavior is amazing.. could be either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
Agreed 100%.. spacers in the rear and I still have enuff flex to rub the 33”s on the frame rails. I did have to drop the diff 2 inches to keep from pulling the cv joints apart at the hub... I’d say something other than the body lift is to blame or your sensitivity to change in vehicle behavior is amazing.. could be either..

I've owned this 97 XLT since early 2000, and installed the body lift about 10 years ago and used it as a daily driver and ran 35" mud terrains for about 2.5 years. The last 7 years, it has been stored at my parents' in Northern NV and driven occasionally by my Dad. 3 years ago, I had front suspension parts replaced (UCA, tie rods, LCA ball joints, sway bar links, pitman arm) - steering felt a bit loose. In August 2020, I drove it back down to SoCal and will be working on it to upgrade/refresh parts.

Driving it down 400+ miles, something feels "different" in the rear, so maybe it is my sensitivity...LOL!

I will be installing new rear upper & lower control arms, track bar, sway bar and poly bushings. Then will be considering re-indexed torsion keys and either coil spacers or F250 front springs (if they will work)

Stepcajun

Reaction score
For my 2001 I have torsion keys, spacers and bilstein shocks,
I rebuild the front suspension when I did the lift, I pulled the front sway bar for wheel travel, I think it rides good, it was a little better with the 35s but not bad with the 37s.
I just really need to gear it up and get a locker in the back.
Here are the pictures you wanted George.MVIMG_20190803_162909.jpg MVIMG_20190818_133936.jpgMVIMG_20190803_162909.jpg MVIMG_20190818_133936.jpg MVIMG_20190818_134042.jpg