3rd Gen Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
My side view mirror motors are shot and I need new ones. I am thinking of upgrading to the 3rd gen mirrors instead. As far as I know they fit directly, but the wiring needs to be messed around with slightly. Does anyone know exactly which wires need to go where? Also does anyone have pictures of a 1st gen with 3rd gen mirrors?

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that would be interesting to see. I have seen Gen1 expes with Gen2 mirrors but not Gen3

best way to avoid wiring hassles would be to get the same options as your current. e.g. if yours didnt have heated, get non-heated, etc

OP
OP
K

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
Since I had no responses, I decided to take the plunge and ordered a pair. They are in the mail and should be here in a week or so. I will update when I get them in with pictures and any modifications that were needed.

OP
OP
K

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
Well, I ordered these mirrors and they're on and working right now. I got them from Discount Auto Mirrors - Replacement Car Mirror at Wholesale Prices for about $120 for both. Even at this price, they seem to be good quality. My factory mirrors were power with heat, but the new ones came with power, heat, and puddle lamps. Not a problem, you can either wire them up to your little light inside the door or just leave it unhooked.

The mirrors bolt right on with no issues what so ever. However, the wiring needs to be completely redone. For one, my factory harness only has 5 wires and the new one has 8. Also, the connectors are different so you can't just re-pin it. If you're lazy and don't feel like doing the wiring, you can just leave the mirrors on and move them manually.

For the drivers side, listed from factory harness to mirror harness.
Green/Purple - Black
Black(Ground) - Purple and Black
Blue - Yellow
Yellow - Green and White
Red - Blue
There will be a brown wire left over which is the positive for the puddle lamp.

*Notice there are two black wires coming out of the mirror. One is the positive for the heater, and one is the negative. What I did to figure out which was positive and which was negative was hook them up to 12v power for about 3 minutes. If you got it right, the mirror will be warm. If you got it wrong, the mirror will still be cold, reverse the polarity and try again.

For the passenger side, listed from factory harness to mirror harness.
Black - Black
Green/Purple(Ground) - Purple and Black
Green - Blue
Purple - Yellow
Yellow - Green and White
There will be a brown wire left over which is the positive for the puddle lamp.

*Notice this time the positive and negative for the heated mirrors is changed. I don't know why the black is not the ground, but the green/purple is on this side and the black is positive. Also, the same deal with the two black wires apply for this side.

What made this so confusing for me and will hopefully same someone a headache in the future is that my factory harness only had 3 outputs for the electric motors, and the new mirrors had 4 inputs. After checking with a multimeter, I found that on the drivers side up and right send power to blue, down and right send power to yellow, and down and left send power to red. On the passenger side, left and down send power to green, down and right send power to yellow, and up and right send power to purple. When the wires are not positively charged, they are grounded out. When wired the way I explained, some positives will activate just to cancel one of the motors from operating due to lack of ground because it is now positively charged on both ends, while still allowing the other motor to activate because it is grounded. Sounds like a pain in the ass right? It is. Took me about an hour on each door with just writing on paper and drawing diagrams to figure out which would be the right combination to use. If Fords only logic for doing this was to same money by having 1 less wire in the harness, than I hate them.

The end result is this. I think they look a lot better than the factory round mirrors and I feel like it gives a little better view than the old ones as well.

qmei.jpg

1ibw.jpg

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks out of place to me...nice right up though

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
*Notice there are two black wires coming out of the mirror. One is the positive for the heater, and one is the negative. What I did to figure out which was positive and which was negative was hook them up to 12v power for about 3 minutes. If you got it right, the mirror will be warm. If you got it wrong, the mirror will still be cold, reverse the polarity and try again.

Also, you may try to measure current. on the correct polarity you will see current draw ( I would expect 1 to 5 amps but it could be more) if it is backwards it should be near zero for the mirror to remain cold..

either way, good write up.. I would personally like to know if it's possible to add heated 1st gen mirrors to a 1st that didn't have them from factory.

Stuntz4fun

Reaction score
Love this write up, I have been wanting to swap my mirrors since I got my 2000 Expy a couple years ago.
What part number or Mirrors did you order from the place you mentioned.
Great write up.

OP
OP
K

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
I ordered part number FD141ER-PLK. It appears they went up to $177 now but I got them for $122. This was the manual fold heated textured mirrors without turn signals. However, you can get them non-heated, with signals, power folding, and paint to match. Anything for the 2007-2010 Expedition will apply to this write up.