3rd row seat install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreyAngel123

Reaction score
Does anyone know what year of expedition I need to pull third row seats from. I have 2014 that never had 3rd row seats installed. I found a 2003 Lincoln navigator at my local scrap yard but I don't know if that will work.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems that the only models that did not come with 3rd row seat as standard are the XL and SSV, which do you have? Is there a removable piece of sheet metal in place where the seat should go?

The base XLT (200A) came with manual 3rd row seats and every model above that - XLT Premium, Limited and King Ranch - had power 3rd row seats.
It seems that it would be an easier job to retrofit the manual seats from a base XLT as you would only need to do the mechanical install and not be concerned with wiring harnesses and relays and fitting the control switches into the passenger side interior cover. That being said, the base XLT is probably the least produced model and hardest to find.

I looked at the part numbers for the third row seating components for each year between 2014 and 2007. The parts are exactly the same down to 2008. At 2007 there starts to be some differences in foam and seat covers, but the seat frames are the same.

OP
OP
G

GreyAngel123

Reaction score
My car used to be a fire chief car and had a storage bin right behind the 2nd row seat. I watched a video that shows that all expedition have the holes drilled.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My car used to be a fire chief car and had a storage bin right behind the 2nd row seat. I watched a video that shows that all expedition have the holes drilled.
So it is what is referred to as an SSV (Special Service Vehicle). They are generally very different builds. It probably does not have any of the wiring or relays to operate a power third row seat, so I would be looking for a non power unit from an base XLT (200A), of course as I said before they will be the lowest quantity built and hardest to find.

Here are a bunch of available 3rd row seats, but all are leather and I assume the powerfold versions.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Darn, I see you're in California. I've got a set sitting in my basement I'd love to get rid of, but yeah, you're going to need wiring to get them hooked up, I don't think the SSV came with it. Unless you want to build your own harness. The switches are just polarity changing switches going to the DC motors in the seats.

OP
OP
G

GreyAngel123

Reaction score
Darn, I see you're in California. I've got a set sitting in my basement I'd love to get rid of, but yeah, you're going to need wiring to get them hooked up, I don't think the SSV came with it. Unless you want to build your own harness. The switches are just polarity changing switches going to the DC motors in the seats.
I actually live in Michigan. I don't know why I put California and yeah there is no wiring there.

DeafBringer

Reaction score
It seems that the only models that did not come with 3rd row seat as standard are the XL and SSV, which do you have? Is there a removable piece of sheet metal in place where the seat should go?

The base XLT (200A) came with manual 3rd row seats and every model above that - XLT Premium, Limited and King Ranch - had power 3rd row seats.
It seems that it would be an easier job to retrofit the manual seats from a base XLT as you would only need to do the mechanical install and not be concerned with wiring harnesses and relays and fitting the control switches into the passenger side interior cover. That being said, the base XLT is probably the least produced model and hardest to find.

I looked at the part numbers for the third row seating components for each year between 2014 and 2007. The parts are exactly the same down to 2008. At 2007 there starts to be some differences in foam and seat covers, but the seat frames are the same.

I have a 2012 XL that came with manual 3rd row from the factory. The 2011 SSV (from what I can tell) has the option to come with manual 3rd row. I also have a 2011 SSV that I looked at and all the bolt holes needed for 3rd row hardware are all there, same as the 2012 XL with the optioned 3rd row.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the seats from the vehicle and install just the carpeted seat back/floor section? Even if I could remove the floor without damaging the seats and install it back in the vehicle with custom bracket would work for me. I want the seats out and the space below open.

OP
OP
G

GreyAngel123

Reaction score
So if I was going to install automatic third row seats what would be the best way to hook up the motors and get them to work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire