4.6 engine swap PLEASE HELP! iron?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Acodding97

Reaction score
I have a 4.6L ford expedition xlt 2002 model that has a aluminum engine but trying to swap the engine for a 4.6L cast iron engine...is this possible?

It is at the shop now and they said power sterring bolts don't line up and something else. They were going to try but I am really stressing as this new engine only has 40k miles on it and I can't afford a new one.

Is their any conversion tricks,material,supplies, help anyone could offer that I cuold tell them to check out?

This one they are putting in is a 4.6L that came out of a crown vic cop car that they said fit and have done it before but was probally a 03 expedition with cast iron already in so it was a easy swap.

HELP!
Chris C
[email protected]

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You may just have to get some or all of the front accessory drive from the crown vic. (alt, ps, a/c) Remember they made these engines both in the Windsor and Romeo plants, and they are very different motors.

I'm also sure that companies like March make aftermarket bracket and pulley setups, but that may end up being $1500+

Don't panic though, because all this is just part of any engine swap. Unless you are putting in the exact same motor, you'll always run in to these little challenges.

OP
OP
A

Acodding97

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks! It sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth. I do remember he said before he completely took it out that it looked like the motor mounts also didn't match up. So those would have to come off the crown vic also and would fit on the expedition? I am pretty clueless when it comes to these things. I paid $800 for the engine because it ran really well and had low mileage. Looks like it may be better just to pay an extra 3-400$ and get a exact bolt on. What are your thoughts?