******4l not disengaging.. *******

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nj98feeb

Reaction score
hey all.. so i have gone through a lot of the threads here on this problem and have done the rolling back and neutral thing and still stuck in 4l.. i have vacuum going to both botom lines on the vacuum selenoids behind the batter but is there suppose to be vacuum on the top line also when switching the knob? or is there suppose to be a click coming from them. how could i tell if they are bad and since it has 2 selenoids which 1 does what? the only light on the dash that is on is the 4x4. but its stuck in 4low.. nothing else changes.. can i manually underneath change it back to 2wd? before i start replacing thing.. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks. are the vacuum selenoids just to engage the 4wd system or also to disengage???

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked any fuses Check fuse #17 under the hood Fuse #13 and #23 Under the dash Use a meter or test light to check the fuses

Do your brake lights work

The Vehicle Does Not Shift Between 4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW Modes Properly

A4WD mode switch/circuit.
VSS.
BPP switch.
Transfer case shift relays.
Transfer case mechanism.
Transmission range sensor.
GEM.
Digital transmission range (DTR) sensor.

OP
OP
N

nj98feeb

Reaction score
Yes fuses are good lights work. There is vacuum going to the actuator on the front axle on the 4wd side but nothing on the 2wd side. Which leads me to believe the 2wd solenoid is bad? Is the a way to manually change it to 2wd?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
4Lo really has little to do with the vacuum solenoids. You really want to be looking at the transfer case shift motor and the associated relays.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
see print

Attachments

• 34-02.gif
    34-02.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 89
  • c221.gif
    c221.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 87
  • C221 location.gif