4x2 with 4x4 equipment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DD777

Reaction score
Hope this finds everyone doing well. I am brand new to the forum and love it so far. We just purchased a 2018 Limited Max and I have a very strange question.

The sticker of the vehicle lists 4x2 but to my great surprise it is equipped with the extra Drive Mode Dial along with the 2H, 4A, and 4L buttons. As you can probably expect, I am very confused.

I do not know how the four wheel drive works and I wanted to see how I could test things out as I am not even sure I truly have 4x4.

Please let me know your thoughts and if any of you might have heard of this happening before.

Thanks!

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the VIN on the window sticker compared to the VIN on the Expy, make sure they match, then look underneath your vehicle ... if you have a transfer case with an axle going forward into a front differential you have a 4x4. You can also but in 4x4 mode and see if the power distribution screen is showing 4 wheels receiving power.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s got 4A or 4L switches it’s a 4x4 unless production made a interior screw up. More likely it’s listed incorrectly and is a 4x4.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it’s got 4A or 4L switches it’s a 4x4 unless production made a interior screw up. More likely it’s listed incorrectly and is a 4x4.
But the towing package brings the lockable rear differential and, presumably, the associated button. The take rate on the 4x2 with towing package is likely to be so incredibly low that I really doubt they'd create a custom panel instead of re-using the 4x4 panel with a couple of buttons that do nothing...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what will give you an answer. Stop the truck and put it in neutral and click 4L, then shift into drive. If the screen indicated it shifted into 4L and it takes more rpm to move you have a 4x4. Don’t do this prolonged just in a straight line in your driveway to test.

OP
OP
D

DD777

Reaction score
So crazy and no clue really. The only button I can get to to light up when I click it is the upper right that shows a picture of the 4 wheels with the x. The 2H, 4A, or 4L will not light up. Do I need to do something before pushing them?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The button with the X and wheels is the rear locker function. Nothing comes up in your instrument cluster if you shift to neutral and press 4L? Maybe Shane is right! You’d think ford would have blanked off the switches on a 2WD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DD777

Reaction score
It would make the most sense but I don’t have the towing package. My Max has the lovely change holder and the open spot below it and from what I know, the towing package has special items in those places.