4x4 dash light on with truck in 4wd / switch on A4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I jumped in my '01 4x4 Expedition (112k / 5.4) yesterday and took off through the neighborhood, and knew something wasn't right. She was in 4x4 high (dash light verified it), yet the dash switch was set to A4wd. I switched it to 4wd HI and back to A4wd... the dash light went away and she clunked out of 4wd HI.

She's not done this in the 6 months I've owned her.

What do you think? Transfer case switch? I'll first check all the connections - reseating them this weekend. My switch is original to the truck.. nice and rusty :doh2: Just say the word and I'll get one on order.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats funny, were actually dealing with the same thing in my mom's new 2000 XLT. We plan on doing the brown wire mod (allows for the A4WD system to be shut off when it is not necessary) so that we have a 2H option like my 97 has. After 99, they did away with that feature until 2003. We have had the transfer case engage on the highway and it feels like it just fell off the truck. Unfortunately I have no idea what causes it, but the brown wire mod may be a way around it.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah! That's what I'm worried about happening to me!

---- "We have had the transfer case engage on the highway and it feels like it just fell off the truck."