4x4 seems stuck on still after new 4x4 actuators and solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyfrancis40

Reaction score
Well I’ve been busy trying to fix this expedition and suspension wise went ok minus a few bolts needing cut off. I ended up getting both from 4x4 actuators and a new solenoid that’s bolted by the fan shroud. I tried to drive it to see if was any better and when I turn wheel it feels like it’s binding up and I hear what sounds like a whining noise from mostly the passenger side. I know these are vacuum ran systems but not sure how the it’s suppose to be ran like where does it get the vacuum source from and is there supposed to be a light on when u but it in 4x4 I get nothing on the dash or no lights pop up. Also what is the part numbers or parts needed for the vacuum lines and check valves. I’m not even sure if mine are hooked up right and the check valves seem to work both ways like they are not doing anything .Im stumped on this car it’s my first 4x4 and I’m clueless

terr5178

Reaction score
First before you go crazy check the actuators. Raise the truck engine off. Both front wheels should turn drive axles. Next start engine and put in 2wd. Spin front wheels axles should not turn. Next put in awd,, spin wheel and axles should spin.
If that is correct then look at transfer case. If not correct then check vacuum hose and check valve and maybe bad wires to vac actuator

OP
OP
B

billyfrancis40

Reaction score
I think I don’t have a vacuum source like off the engine not sure how the vacuum system is supposed to routed

terr5178

Reaction score
What were your results after following previous post?
If you remove the vacuum hose from solenoid while engine is r unning you should here a hissing noise coming from engine hose. One hose goes to actuators the other goes to engine. If no vacuum noise then follow hose to engine and you should find the problem. Vacuum comes off the intake manifold somewhere. I don't remember exactly.
There is also a vacuum storage tank that could have a hole. After verifying vacuum from enthem. Remove check valve ! and use vacuum pump to retract the actuators then wheels should spin no axle spin. If axle spin then you didn't build vacuum due to a leak or your actuator is bad but unlikely since you said you replaced them.

OP
OP
B

billyfrancis40

Reaction score
I don’t think I have vacuum from engine I have to see if everything is hooked up I think I’m getting no vacuum at all

OP
OP
B

billyfrancis40

Reaction score
What were your results after following previous post?
If you remove the vacuum hose from solenoid while engine is r unning you should here a hissing noise coming from engine hose. One hose goes to actuators the other goes to engine. If no vacuum noise then follow hose to engine and you should find the problem. Vacuum comes off the intake manifold somewhere. I don't remember exactly.
There is also a vacuum storage tank that could have a hole. After verifying vacuum from enthem. Remove check valve ! and use vacuum pump to retract the actuators then wheels should spin no axle spin. If axle spin then you didn't build vacuum due to a leak or your actuator is bad but unlikely since you said you replaced them.
I have no vacuum at solenoid or tank

OP
OP
B

billyfrancis40

Reaction score
Some how I went to a pulls apart and re ran vacuum from the booster to the solenoid and canaster then to the hubs and I’m getting vacuum and the noise dissipated so I take it I’m in 2wd now just have to figure out the 4x4 selector when when I change it I get no notification on dash or lights popping up and notice no difference like it doesn’t know to change. I ordered a trans case shift solinoid thing hopefully that fixes that

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani