5.4 Engine options for a 2000 Expedition. I want to go newer, straight swap 5.4 Engin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbrowne

Reaction score
I see good prices for 5.4s in Econoline vans, some out of a 2003 Expeditions. Isn't the 2valve kept in some later model fords?

Whats the newest I can go and what do I look for to confirm it'll work? 8th digit being L?

I want a straight swap. My current trans is strong and has been maintained properly it's entire life (I have the documentation)

I've been thinking of freshening up my current 5.4, but from what I read on here it's a nightmare to open up and less difficult to just swap the power plant. I got an exhaust manifold leak with a couple broken studs, small oil leak at the rear of the passenger head (read that doing heads on these are not fun) I could just repair that side head, the driver side looks tight as it is.

I'm not looking for how-tos, I found those threads already. I'm looking for straight swap options - or whatever can be done with no customization. (unless it's a very straight forward one!)

I'm fairly decent with a wrench, do all my own work with the exception of welding.

thnx in advance.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably the most common swap people have done here was a lightning motor swap... otherwise it was just same motor swaps... not too familiar with anyone doing anything with a newer motor.. lots of discussions but no one has done anything yet... there was a link for a f150 doing a V10 swap...