5.4L Engine Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New to the forum and the 2000 Expedition I bought for my son. I've done a ridiculous amount of work on this thing. One tidbit I wanted to pass along that is well worth the time doing when it comes to engine removal is to remove the plastic vent trim from around the wipers and electrical inside the vehicle. Once that is removed along with the radiator you can lift the engine in and out without any tilting or any weird mechanizations. I left that trim on taking it out and scratched it up while having to tilt the motor to avoid damaging the condenser and frankly it was a pain in the ass. I had removed that trim and the motor would drop straight in (it was tight) but cleared no issues.

Just thought I'd pass that on to anyone contemplating engine removal :)

OP
OP
T

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like it would give access to work at the back end of the engine?

I'll try to take a few photo's as I put it back together so you can really get a good reference. Access to the back of the engine can be gained by removing the intake. Of course I'm short so I was standing between the engine and front of the truck and that made access easier :)

jdpoissa

Reaction score
tcwaltz, since you are talking about lifting the motor. I have an oil filter adapter gasket that I need to replace. Part sits between the motor mount and the block. It is not like this on all first generations I have found out.

Can you tell me if I am able to easily jack up the motor about 4 inches to get at this thing? Thanks for the help. Hanes manual is not super helpful.