5.4l Head gaskets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a how to out there for this. I know it is a big job but any tips would be appreciated. I have oil all over the place now...even in the valley. I am also thinking about get reman'd heads. Thoughts?

2000ttownexpy

Reaction score
Is there a how to out there for this. I know it is a big job but any tips would be appreciated. I have oil all over the place now...even in the valley. I am also thinking about get reman'd heads. Thoughts?

If I remember correctly, the head bolts are all TTY (Torque to yield) and are not reusable. The only other thing I can think of is you'll want to get the tool they make to hold the cams in position while you remove &/or replace the timing chains.

Then as long as there is enough space to get the heads off with the motor in teh truck, the rest should be pretty straight forward.

Hope that helps.

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO oil in the valleys is usually valve covers not head gaskets.
Is valve cover gaskets what you meant to say?

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I say get a used engine, probably easier to swap out, and by the time you get a remaned heads its probably going to be the same price

I aggree about the valve cover gaskets also. look into that first. ive even seen some pretty looking valve covers for 5.4's out there

Last edited:
OP
OP
2k3Expy

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I just instantly thought head gasket due to the issues out there. Are the valve cover gaskets a common failure also? I guess I could start with them when I do the coil packs and plugs and maybe get lucky.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say valve cover gaskets also. IF the head gaskets were leaking they leak to the rear on the rt head tnd the front of the left head. This was most common on 99 5.4s rt side head not to common on other years or engines.

Reaction score
I have only replaced one head on a 5.4 when i worked at a ford dealer if its not the valve cover and you still want to take on replacing the head or both heads there is a cam holding tool and a cam follower remover/installer tool to remove the cam followers. A service manual should tell you the proper order to take the followers out and install them. Because when you torque the new heads on with the heads fully assembled you could damage some valves and maybee have a hard time turning the engine over to line up your timing marks. Hope this helps you.

OP
OP
2k3Expy

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I am still keeping a close eye to the oil levels and things seem to be holding. I switched oil from the Motorcraft 5w-20 to GTX High Mileage 5w-30. I also used a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. I was able to get the undercarriage clean but I still need to degrease the motor and get the oil out of the valley. I think I may have jumped the gun a little with my diagnosis.