98 Expy 5.4l planning a engine rebuild, want more power!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98nmexpy

Reaction score
I've had my EB expy for a while now and just had my first spark plug shoot out at the top of the ski mtn(its fixed now), and have had some other issues that I don't care to dive into. But I am planning to buy another car to get me where I need to go and pull my 5.4l and fully rebuild it and I want to add more power because I want to turn this into my ski/camping rig. I love the car I just want to get more power out of it, then when the engines back in ill start upgrading all the other systems like the rest of the drivetrain, suspension, wheels/tires and more audio upgrades. I am also somewhat experienced with pulling and rebuilding engines especially more complex engines than this one. So any knowledge the og expy guys could drop on me for what I can do to get more power, Id appreciate it. I've looked around at superchargers and fell in love with the car originally with the plan of lightning svt swapping it but I am a sophomore in college and dont have THAT type of money yet but I got a pretty good job right now so i just wanna spend at absolute most $2-3k on upgrading this motor (that is a lot tho).

(also any knowledge on any of the other mentioned systems i plan to upgrade is much appreciated, I know a lot of the ppl in here know 1000x more about this car than I do and want to know it all:)

Also pt.2, lmk if this is even worth it. I love the look of the expy and how it feels to drive it, but if this is a point to say bye and getting more power for not too much $$ i wanna know too

Last edited:

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
It isn't a huge upgrade in and of itself, but if you can find what's known as a "PI" engine then that's a better platform to build upon. Stock they put out 260hp compared to the 235(or is it 245...) that the 97 & 98 5.4s had - I've read on here that they can be tuned for more than 260 as is. Long tube headers and higher-flow exhaust will help too, but with longtubes a tune is all but mandatory to get the most out of them. Other than that, the only other feasible upgrade without swapping cams or going forced induction is an aftermarket intake. And it'd probably be better if you do your mods and THEN have it tuned.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
98nmexpy

98nmexpy

Reaction score
Well, Im gonne be completely pulling it out so doing cams and such wont be a bad option and Im honestly thinking about it. But I was also thinking of sort of bulletproofing it as well. Ive read you cant fully bulletproof a 5.4l 2v but I wanna get as close as possible leaving little room for this engine to come to an end anytime soon. Ive read about PI heads and putting them on non pi engines but I would like to stick with my block for the most part unless i can find one for a really good deal.

Defyant

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im seeing videos of guys swapping new Godzilla 7.3L into older Ford trucks. I'd be looking in that direction, personally.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd go find a later version 5.4 2V motor with the PI heads ( '99-newer ) and build that up at your leisure while you still have the old motor in the Expy for now. You'll need the Expy running to go get parts for your new motor anyway :).
But in your budget range, just rebuilding a later 2V motor is gonna be about it. You can have the heads rebuilt, new rings & bearings, oil pump. All the standard upgrades, and a set of shorty headers, and have a good running motor.
How many miles on the tranny ? You'll end up rebuilding that too.

58Daoud

Reaction score
I have a ford lighting motor with the 8 thred spark plug threds completely built it sucked a valve. Will sell u the hole motor for 3200 if u are interested PM me at [email protected]

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can find one, a gen 1 Navi 4V is a bolt in. 300 HP, more torque and better fuel economy. Nothing wrong with the 4V heads.

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
I'm looking to do something similar here but what I'll say is that I think you'll be better off with the PI motor. I have a 2003 F150 that's complete and driving and I am going to swap that engine and trans directly into my 97'. I also figure a little bit of a regear will give me the "umph" I'm looking for. There is also always the option of the lightning supercharger! lots of guys swapping to bigger blower selling the stock units.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire