50k+ vehicle with Plastic Pans... ? why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They've done it my whole life without issue, so yes I am!

and the plastic pan, with zero memory, will behave just fine as well.

Plastic has been used in thermostat housings, radiator end tanks and coolant expansion tanks for years.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and the plastic pan, with zero memory, will behave just fine as well.

Plastic has been used in thermostat housings, radiator end tanks and coolant expansion tanks for years.

You DO realize that Ford quit installing theses plastic pans BECAUSE they warped and had leaking gaskets and then they replaced the leakers with the Aluminum pans as their permanent fix! My dealer told me they can't warranty the pan replacement until I can prove this one is leaking. I'm pretty sure a few loosened bolts would make it leak! lol

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y’all are acting like the plastic used for the pans is the same type used for power wheels toys!!! This is some legit engineered fiber composite.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y’all are acting like the plastic used for the pans is the same type used for power wheels toys!!! This is some legit engineered fiber composite.

Ford acknowledged they have a problem with the plastic pans leaking and they are replacing them all with aluminum pans if your plastic one leaks. I'm not sure how much clearer this KNOWN issue can be. There's no hidden secret or something here, just facts from FORD themselves. My dealer fully expects to replace mine as they've replaced many on their other vehicles recently.....

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh- guess you’re right.

I just “hate” when people reaffirm my decision to keep my tried and true 2000 running instead of getting some newer and more “reliable”.

Buddy of mine with a newish 3.5 ecoboost was saying how after you replace the battery you’re supposed to wait 12 hours before starting it so the computers can learn the new battery. 12 hours?!?! I guess when the machines rise up, our opportunity is when they are changing batteries.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh- guess you’re right.

I just “hate” when people reaffirm my decision to keep my tried and true 2000 running instead of getting some newer and more “reliable”.

Buddy of mine with a newish 3.5 ecoboost was saying how after you replace the battery you’re supposed to wait 12 hours before starting it so the computers can learn the new battery. 12 hours?!?! I guess when the machines rise up, our opportunity is when they are changing batteries.

I don't like the new stuff any better than you do, but I'm sick of working on old junk, so I bought new. They can work on my new junk......

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh- guess you’re right.

Odd and incorrect. Plastic pretty much sucks, it works well enough but is for cost and weight savings mainly. I wish my 3rd gen had steel chrome plated bumpers like the 1st gens. The plastic will fall apart with any slight impact. Steel doesn’t get brittle and crack with age or mild temp swings, plastic does. Most of the time when these radiators and plastic pumps on the imports fail it’s because of brittle cracked plastic. It definitely has its place, plastic is great for interior parts.

Last edited:

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Ford acknowledged they have a problem with the plastic pans leaking and they are replacing them all with aluminum pans if your plastic one leaks. I'm not sure how much clearer this KNOWN issue can be. There's no hidden secret or something here, just facts from FORD themselves. My dealer fully expects to replace mine as they've replaced many on their other vehicles recently.....

Any link to Ford "acknowledging" the problem? If it is as severe as you say it is, I'll need to bring mine in for replacement at some point and would like to present the dealer with whatever necessary.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any link to Ford "acknowledging" the problem? If it is as severe as you say it is, I'll need to bring mine in for replacement at some point and would like to present the dealer with whatever necessary.

My service man told me in person to watch it, so I didn't see anything more.