6.2 motor going in 2011 Navi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7.3 is no bigger externally than any other modular engine, and will bolt to any trans with the modular bell bolt pattern. It ain't cheap though, there's already guys with them in Mustangs and trucks (swapped in, NOT new Super Duty trucks..)

If i were to do an engine swap to mine, it's be the 7.3 gas. Though the 6.2 sounds good, as well.
The 7.3 is a pushrod engine. Without those cams sitting up top it's really compact. One amusing quote I read was:
"With a relatively small external footprint thanks to its overhead valve design, the new 7.3L V-8 will fit into even the smallest engine bay. In fireside conversation with Ford engineers, it was mused that the engine will even fit in a current generation Ranger."

OP
OP
B

bryan

Reaction score
Is this a crate motor? What does one of those cost? How much more have you budgeted to get it installed and running?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
$3700 for an engine with all the accessories, wiring harness, pcm, intake... It was a lift out from a 2017 f250 with 50000 miles on it. I'm guessing another 1000 will need to be invested in the electronics. I'm going to do pretty much all of the work.

STINNETT

Reaction score
Good luck! Thanks for sharing this with us! Can't wait to see how it goes. I've been thinking about this swap in my 2008 F150.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've asked about this swap years ago without any reply, so you might be the first one doing it. So please do document what you can. My concern was not because it will give more power and torque, truly a bonus, but was it a more reliable engine, with no issues like my 2nd Gen 3 valve 5.4. I licked the spark plug issue on mine, but at 125 K miles, even though running good, it's only a matter of time for the hydraulic cam chain tensioner to crap out or the phasers. I've gotten hints of the tensioner going since about 45K, but since I switched back to 20Wt. oil, I haven't heard that nasty startup noise. Unless I get rid of this truck, a 6.2 sounds like it would only cost slightly more than if you let Ford upgrade you 5.4 to prevent catastrophic disaster.

willymutt

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day. My wife's is getting to 230k and I know it is only a matter of time. The startup sound is horrible. It isn't worth crap to try and sell so thought maybe I would either rebuild or put a different motor in it and get her something different. Then this would be my daily.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You read my mind. I have 2010 Ford Expedition Limited with 211,000 and I only use 5w-30 synthetic oil only. I have no problems at all other than age of the truck and alittle wear on the driver seat. I also planning for an engine upgrade or swap and couldn't find anything on 6.2L. Please take a lot of pictures and document everything for us please.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
VERY interested in this one... Can't wait to see the finished product