89 Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate03

Reaction score
So I had been getting consistently 16.5 to 16.7 mpg from my drive to work and back. I baby it and that's what I get. I put in 89 octane while towing my boat a couple weekends ago and when I returned I had a half tank. Got 12.7 pulling by the way... Anyway, reset the MPG computer when I returned and when I looked a couple days later it was at 18.7 mpg. I filled up one more tank with 89 to see if a fluke and low and behold I am getting between 18.7 and 19.0 mpg. This seems crazy? It is about a 12% improvement, but the gas costs about 12% more too. Anyone else tried or noticed this, or have my new tires just broke in enough that I can expect this MPG all the time.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, not a fluke....my Average-since-new is 18mpg and tanks typically yield 19 to 19.7 now with 42K on the clock. I use 93ron and have since day one but I very seriously doubt that 93 would yield less mileage since it actually burns slower.

jeff

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Similar experience here.. We tow our boat to the same lake almost every weekend and take the same route.. The first two trips of the season we got around 9.5mpg for the 180 mile round trip on 87 octane, the last three trips i've used 89 octane and got anywhere from 10.5 to 11.5mpg. 2016 Expedition XLT 4wd, short wheelbase.

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
Well I was looking at other F150 forums and they claim it did not make a difference, but those are all older posts from 2013 or older. I just can't believe the difference I am seeing though. It's impressive. Makes me wonder if running 87 octane is bad for the engine. Anyway, I am now only running 89 octane. Peace of mind is worth it I guess. I wish it wasn't so much more expensive here though. It's 30 cents a gallon more.

Plati

Reaction score
Im surprised at the magnitude of the mpg increase here, but not the concept. 07XLN explained here a while back that the Ecoboost engine technology has the ability to adjust engine operating parameters and optimize combustion to the octane level. For example the timing can be advanced for higher octane fuels without knocking ... More efficient combustion and better mpg. He can explain it a lot better than me. I'm an antique trying to catch up with new technology.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I can't imagine 91 or 93 would be any better, but makes me wonder. I also wonder if these new tires just got a bit more broken in after the long trips with the boat.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual reccomended using a higher octane fuel when towing or in hot weather, so even though it can run 87 just fine, the ecoboost does better with a higher grade fuel. I run an 87 octane tune and fill up with 89 when towing and it does make a welcome difference in towing mpg.

5x10

Reaction score
I can’t find it, but I think it was an AAA report on higher grade octane ad fuel efficient

I remember the ecoboost being the one engine that was most impacted by higher octane vs normal aspirated

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we almost always use 92..once in awhile i get the 89, if the place is out.
but 92 is safe to say 98% of time.
I did run 87 non ethanol in my f150 eco boost and it made a huge impact on mpg, but the cost per gallon was not worth the extra mpg.
so 92 grocery store fuel. we still get 17.5 city and 19 on highway at sustained 75 mph, it fluctuates but eventually settles at 19 as a solid figure
i use 17 as a gauge for trips so i plan fuel station stops.
i use 7 for the bus :favorites37: