93 perf only tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
35¢/gallon difference does indeed make this a no-brainer with that increase in fuel economy. 60¢/gallon premium is what I see here in Chesterfield at every gas station on good ole Hull Street Road where I tend to buy gas. To my surprise that delta has been constant regardless of the price of 87. When 87 octane dipped below $2.00 93 octane was $2.60. My S2000 requires at least 91 so I'm painfully aware of the price difference even with that small fuel tank.

-- Chuck

Yeah, Our Kroger does an insane business, and I think they reward us by keeping the prices down.

Yeah, I run 93 in both the Expy and Edge...so I feel you.

Yeah, when I worked on Hull I hated when I realized I needed to get gas to make it home. Not a good option price wise anywhere.

In other news, I am on revision 4 of the Tune with Adam@ZFGRacing, loving the pull this thing has now. HyperTech was an increase, but this is Night and day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
Drove by the station this morning... $4.49 for regular, bend me over now or later??? Hahaha

But anyways even with the 87 tune the car runs much better and does bump out an extra mpg or two which makes it worth while!!! So even starting out with a basic tune is a bonus.

How do you achieve 93 octane? How much is the mixers?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drove by the station this morning... $4.49 for regular, bend me over now or later??? Hahaha

But anyways even with the 87 tune the car runs much better and does bump out an extra mpg or two which makes it worth while!!! So even starting out with a basic tune is a bonus.

No mixing. Our Pumps in VA have 93.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ray,

When you talk about revision 4 tune at ZFG racing are you talking about your Expedition? Is this the best 93 tune in your opinion for the Ecoboost Expedition. I still haven’t pulled the trigger yet on a tune as I just recently went out of warranty. Now I’m looking at it seriously and want your thoughts again.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ray,

When you talk about revision 4 tune at ZFG racing are you talking about your Expedition? Is this the best 93 tune in your opinion for the Ecoboost Expedition. I still haven’t pulled the trigger yet on a tune as I just recently went out of warranty. Now I’m looking at it seriously and want your thoughts again.

It is on my Expedition! Adam@ZFG is fairly new to the game. He is working on my Edge also.

He is getting good reviews, but his tunes aren’t as polished as somebody like 5-Star, they have just been doing it longer and have done more. There is a lot to be said about that.

I am doing a lot of logging for him, and he is willing to tweak things. The cool thing is when he is done, you have a tune written specifically for your vehicle and preferences.

One thing you should factor in, is the hardware you are using. Recently I have become a fan of HPTuner. The settings that your tuner can mess with supposedly is way more than SCT can modify. The annoying part is you have to use a Windows Laptop with it attached to the MPVI plugged in to the car to upload the Tune. The cool thing, is that same connection is used to do the logging.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ray,

Power and performance wise, our 15-17s can handle an E30 tune (93 and some amount of e85). I’m talking probably another 80-100 hp/tq over the 93 tune. But, with that comes a lot of extra stuff that really needs to be considered and dialed in prior to running e30. The new 4th gens can handle e50!

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great info. You’re a brave soul. Let’s hope your Expedition is up to all this. But I like hearing your results so far.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Would agree with just the 87 tune. I did the Gotts mod, Gibson cat back exhaust and put the stock 87 tune on the SCT X4 that came last week and have seen a 1.97 MPG increase from stock and can feel the power difference. Should have come from the factory like this.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you guys have to leave your tuners plugged in full-time?