97 5.4L Low Fuel and Oil Lamps Flash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tedallen

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I though I noticed one or more indicator lamps briefly flash on then off and thought it might have been the low fuel indicator lamp (amber) and/or the oil warning indicator lamp.

Yesterday I finally caught it and confirmed that both lamps came on at exactly the same time, stayed lit for a second or less and then both went out at the same time. This occurred about 5 times within a 2-3 minute time period and then I didn't see it occur again.

I called a local Ford service department and explained the symptom to them to see if they had ever seen this before and to see if maybe it was a special combination code for a particular condition that wouldn't be reported via a CEL problem code. He stated he had never heard of this before.

I just thought I would check to see if anyone else might have encountered this. The fuel tank was over 3/4 full at the time (the fuel gauge was accurately reflecting this level) and the oil level on the dipstick was only slightly down from the top of the hatched area. The oil pressure gauge was reading steady in then normal range.

A few times over the past month, typically on cold days (we have had some unusually cold weather in NC over the past month) I have also heard a whining noise that has typically occurred when accelerating or decelerating and there was no pattern as to whether it occurred right after start-up or long after things were well heated up. It doesn't sound like the sound I've heard out of Idle Air Control (IAC) valves. It could be a bearing sound (maybe an idler pulley - I did replace one of these within the last year because it was locking up).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ted