97 expedition motor swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I know I've been blowing up the forums and its been a HUGE Help to me and hopfully others.

So I've got a 97 5.4 4x4. The motors seized and I need a new motor. I was wondering what would be a direct swap? Of course a 97 5.4 would be. But how about a 99 expy or f150 5.4? Or a 99 5.4 4v out of a navi? 2003 expy or f150 5.4?

Right now I'm on a budget and need something thats going to be the most direct swap..

Again I know I'm blowing up the forums but I plan on buying and pulling my motor this weekend so I'm kinda of rushed. Thanks for understanding and the help so far.

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I found a few answers and tell me if I'm wrong. But If i use the 99 expedition 5.4 with the 97 wireharness, intake manifold, and I have to custom fit the ECT.. also a custom tune which is fine.. but I'm a little confused a custom tune like a shop or a custom tune like a edge tuner? Also I read that a stock 99 tune from the dealership is fine as well and that's around 100... from what I read.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The differnt heads cause the computer to run bad ( as far as i know) but a edge tuner will NOT fix that, a full custom tune should. Not sure about the dealer tune?? Maybe possible. ( that's for 5.4 2v only) AS for the other motors Nav 5.4 4v is a great motor but you'll need the computer with the motor ( also they run Permium Gas $$$)
you also can't use the newer 5.4 3v head, you'd need the computer.

Others should have more thoughts !!

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The differnt heads cause the computer to run bad ( as far as i know) but a edge tuner will NOT fix that, a full custom tune should. Not sure about the dealer tune?? Maybe possible. ( that's for 5.4 2v only) AS for the other motors Nav 5.4 4v is a great motor but you'll need the computer with the motor ( also they run Permium Gas $$$)
you also can't use the newer 5.4 3v head, you'd need the computer.

Others should have more thoughts !!

Where would I get a full custom tune and about how much would that cost?

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hands down your the man canadian expy! Thanks for the help tomorrow Ill be bright and early at getting a motor and hopfully sunday ill be starting the swap... ill let everyone know!

thanks EVERYONE for all the help and encouragment the past few days!

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So today I went to the yard and they were closed.... I went home and went to tearing her down....

Got home rip out the radiator and fan and shroud. Tried to turn the crank pully and she broke free!!! So now I went back to putting her back together. BUT I've got a majot leak in the fuel rail one one of the injectors and cant get it to stop... any ideas or tricks?