97 RWD Which Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tedallen

Reaction score
As best I can tell, my 1997 5.4L RWD has the E4OD transmission. If so, I think it calls for Mercon fluid. However, my local Ford dealership says that Mercon V is fine, actually preferred, for use with this transmission. Other things I have read contradict this. I have read that it is OK to use Mercon V in the 4R70W transmission that was used with the 4.6L engine.

If anyone has any experience with using Mercon V in the E4OD transmission in a 1997, I would appreciate any feedback. If anyone has a reference to a definitive document from Ford stating their stance on which fluid should be used in the E4OD in a 1997 Expy I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks,

Ted

B

bedrck46

check your owners manual if you don't have one you can download it from
owner.ford.com

OP
OP
T

tedallen

Reaction score
The owner's manual says the E4OD takes Mercon. However, I've seen and heard (from local Ford dealer) differing opinions as to whether or not I should use Mercon V instead.

check your owners manual if you don't have one you can download it from
owner.ford.com

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MERC V is preferred. It's also expensive and the complete flush requires alot of it.

The manual says MERC because MERC V licensing didn't exist when it was written. MERC V now supercedes MERC applications. The oldest truck I have used it in is my '95 Aerostar. There were no problems.

MERC is still around, just not made by Motorcraft anymore. The specs haven't changed for your transmission but the licensing agreement on fluid has. MERC will work as originally intended and be cheaper if it's the way you want to go.

Last edited:

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that, I was curious myself but never got around to posting the question.

Last time I needed to top up the trans I had a heck of a hard time finding plain old Merc, and if memory serves I actually paid more for it than if I had gone with the V.

OP
OP
T

tedallen

Reaction score
Ended Up Using Mercon V

I finally got around to doing the transmission fluid change on my 97 Expy E4OD transmission. I drained both the torque converter and the pan and replaced the filter with one from the dealer (more expensive, but since it isn't changed that often, I wasn't that bothered by the cost). Using the starter to bump the flywheel around to line the torque converter drain plug up with the inspection opening was fruitless so I ended up turning the crankshaft by hand after disconnecting the battery.

I ended up ordering 12 quarts of Castrol Transmax Mercon V from Advance web site for $4.99/qt (with store pickup) and then ended up buying two more in store at $5.99/qt after I found out that I had drained more than 12 qts. Thus far I haven't noticed any issues so hopefully it will remain that way. The reusable gasket still looked good and I torqued it to 12 ft/lb and haven't noticed any leaks after about 60 or so miles of driving.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701