Rwd Expedition headed to twin lakes Colorado.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dandan

Reaction score
As stated me and the family have rented a cabin for a week in twin lakes Colorado and there’s a few chances of snow during our stay. I’m from texas so I have 22” wheels with just your typical 305 45 all season tires. My question is if anyone has been caught in the snow in the mountains and what precautions should I take to keep us as safe as possible on the trip through the mountains should we get caught in a storm. I do plan on purchasing some snow chains for the trip to be on the safe side but even if I had to use them would chains on the rwd only expedition suffice?

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated me and the family have rented a cabin for a week in twin lakes Colorado and there’s a few chances of snow during our stay. I’m from texas so I have 22” wheels with just your typical 305 45 all season tires. My question is if anyone has been caught in the snow in the mountains and what precautions should I take to keep us as safe as possible on the trip through the mountains should we get caught in a storm. I do plan on purchasing some snow chains for the trip to be on the safe side but even if I had to use them would chains on the rwd only expedition suffice?
Welcome to the forum! I lived in Colorado for many years and seen snow in the mountains in July so hard to give cut and dry answers. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you but here are mine.

Keep these in the car whenever you hit the road: Blankets/sleeping bags, water, energy bars(some kind of food) in the event you are stuck for any length of time.

Use common sense, if you start to drive and you can't control the vehicle well then go back to the cabin. Where, if you're smart you will have brought some cards and board games, and dvd's to entertain everyone. Make snow angels and have snowball fights if so inclined. People got around with RWD for years and years. You should be fine and, don't forget to enjoy the beauty of Colorado.

OP
OP
D

dandan

Reaction score
T
Welcome to the forum! I lived in Colorado for many years and seen snow in the mountains in July so hard to give cut and dry answers. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you but here are mine.

Keep these in the car whenever you hit the road: Blankets/sleeping bags, water, energy bars(some kind of food) in the event you are stuck for any length of time.

Use common sense, if you start to drive and you can't control the vehicle well then go back to the cabin. Where, if you're smart you will have brought some cards and board games, and dvd's to entertain everyone. Make snow angels and have snowball fights if so inclined. People got around with RWD for years and years. You should be fine and, don't forget to enjoy the beauty of Colorado.
thank you sir, I did end up getting snow chains for the rear and socks for the front. My main concern is the trip in when we arrive and the trip leaving. Not soo much concerned about while we are there. But if the weather permits it would be nice to take a trip to the ski resort and get alittle snowboarding in

ColoExpdn

Reaction score
Colorado does have chain laws that can be invoked during the winter months. Typically these are for commercial vehicles, but can be applied to passenger vehicles. Buying and bringing the chains is a good idea. https://codot.gov/travel/colorado-chain-law
The weather can change very quickly in the mountains. I assume that you will be coming up from the south via I25 which will bring you over Raton Pass and then Monument Hill closer to Denver. These both can get a lot of snow. I70 west from Denver takes you up to most ski areas. Staying on the interstates is your best bet as they are kept plowed and passible. Snow bums get to the ski areas all of the time in bad conditions in all sorts of vehicles. You sound more prepared than most. Follow Alwaysthinkin's advice on carrying water, some food, etc. in case you get caught in a closure on the highway (i.e. tunnel shut down, trucks spun out, etc.) where you may need to sit for hours. Fuel up before going up into the mountains. Tune in to 850AM (KOA) or 630AM (KHOW) to stay abreast of the traffic and weather reports. Enjoy your trip and Colorado!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett