98 expedition exhaust manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nope. have funn. haha i took mine in. cost me a pretty penny but it was worth it. they had to drill and tap out almost all the bolts.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are a PIA it takes alot of time and Patients. I ended up taking mine to a exhaust shop didn't have the patients!! LOL . Also you might break a stud or two. But there are people on here that did them themselves, I think?? They probaly live in a warm dry climate!

spadesluck

Reaction score
My Expy spent most of its life in Michigan so when I brought it down to Florida and pulled the manifolds off it was all rust. 5 bolts broke off and it ended up being a pulling the heads job as well. Turned out to be a good thing because most of the valves where bad. Getting the manifolds off was not all that hard but with rust and the age of the bolts is what made it difficult.

Jake the expy up take the wheel off, take out the wheel liner and have at it. Pretty straight forward.

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years ago I was installing headers on a F250 with a 460 in it. I was having a tough time with the some of the bolts and scared to death that i was going to break some of them. They were very tight. I decided to cut the manifolds off the truck. Both sides "popped" when I was cutting them and the bolts came out very easily. It turns out that the manifolds had stretched and was holding tension on the bolts.

I will be installing headers as well and will attempt to repeat fate and cut the old manifolds off the truck. I used a sawzall previously.

I had posted this else where, since then a friend of mine changed his out on his F150 and used the same trick, He cut them off and any bolts that were stuck got a bath in PB Blaster. he did not break on bolt, took his time and was very careful.

Some more info here

http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=13395

Last edited: