98 expy 4.6 no heat overheating bs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpcmngr69

Reaction score
Hello guys i havent been here in a while well long story short i bought my 3rd expedition and this one has me stumped ive searched here and google and nothing really hits this on the head... I have a 98 4.6 expedition 214k truck runs great but every morning religiously at the same time and place heat will go ice cold temperature spikes to hot shes throws up coolant out of the bottle shut her off maybe 2 min at most start up no issues back up and running like nothing happened only does it one time everyday no matter how much i start and stop its only after it sits overnight i left it sit for 9 hrs today outside its ~15-25 degrees here in pa and still didnt do it i changed the t stat and keep up on the fluid but im not figuring out what it could be i figure headgasket would overheat all the time so would water pump what am i missing?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your coolant mixture ratio. Coolant can freeze at this time of year if the ratio is off the wrong way.
Collapsing lower radiator hose is a possibility also.

FF3012

Reaction score
I was having the same issue with my 98 expedition 4.6. I went so far as to do a complete rebuild of the cooling system. Radiator, hoses, lines, water pump and heater cores. Found out it was a bad intake gasket on the manifold. Somehow the intake gasket was allowing air into the cooling system and combustion chamber on cylinders 4 through 8. It wasn't enough to cause a major failure but was just enough for me to lose about a gallon of coolant every month.

R0CK1TMAN

Reaction score
K-Seal helped me

I have a 1998 Expedition that I paid $3100 for on a lot. (I got burned) Its the 4.6L.

It was really warm the day I bought it so I never checked the heater (idiot) but noticed after a couple of days that it didn't work and it also started losing coolant. It had developed a slow leak from somewhere near the heads and was spitting a good bit out the tail pipe.

Anyhow soon it overheated and Firestone did the test for combustion gases in the radiator and gases were present.

I returned to the lot to give them a shot at making it right and the sales snake sent me to his mechanic who claims he replaced both heater cores for $500 (front completely clogged, rear mostly) which restored the heat but did not fix coolant loss or overheating.

I determined $800-$1200 for head gasket repair was more than I wanted to put in to a truck I could MAYBE sell for $1500 with the repairs done.

Bought a can of K-Seal for $14, poured it in, cranked up. Leak stopped within 2 mins of idle, drove car for 30 minutes and have had no coolant loss or overheating since. (2weeks)