automatic transmission heating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manuelb

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ford Expedition and the transmission heats up when I'm in traffic, the temperature gets between 225 very quickly and can reach 235 F but when it reaches that number I stop driving, on the road when I'm going fast it doesn't go up and down rather the temperature. I don't use the trailer.

I have already read about changing the thermostat, somewhere I have read about a cooling aid that they install in the transmission, DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE THE SOLUTION OR DO THE SAME HAPPEN TO THEM?

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
235!? I've never seen those temps slowly pulling a trailer uphill during a traffic jam. It's like it's not circulating trans fluid to the heat exchanger at all. What are your engine coolant temps?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ford Expedition and the transmission heats up when I'm in traffic, the temperature gets between 225 very quickly and can reach 235 F but when it reaches that number I stop driving, on the road when I'm going fast it doesn't go up and down rather the temperature. I don't use the trailer.

I have already read about changing the thermostat, somewhere I have read about a cooling aid that they install in the transmission, DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE THE SOLUTION OR DO THE SAME HAPPEN TO THEM?

it looks your vehicle has the metal bottom thermostat and it is seized. Replace it with a redesigned plastic plate thermostat, like RT1258.

OP
OP
M

manuelb

Reaction score
it looks your vehicle has the metal bottom thermostat and it is seized. Replace it with a redesigned plastic plate thermostat, like RT1258.
I changed the thermostat that opens at 160f and now the temperature reaches a maximum for now at 185f, I have driven 4 hours today, so far it has been a success.

The transmission does continue to fail me in speeds 1,2,3 and 4 but if I go slow it doesn't fail me much.

I changed the transmission oil and filter and it improved but not 100%.

Ford expedition 2020

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65