99 Expy No Vent Air?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently acquired a 1999 ford expedition Eddie Bauer, it blows heat but that's all it blows, put it on ac, it blows hot front and rear, put it on vent it blows hot front and rear, any idea whats going on here? Also, it has the automatic climate control if that matters.

driveway2fast

Reaction score
May possibly be the blend door or control for the blend door. I will look for a link to fault isolation and repair.. (had to fix it on my mountaineer)

Check you blend door Actuator first (that is the motor that drives the blend door) with ignition in the on position vary the temperature from hot - cold you should feel the motor run if you place your hand on it. If you cannot feel it run You would then wan to pull it off and repeat the same check watching the part that would couple to the blend door, it should move.

If not then the actuator is bad (or quite possibly, but not likely the climate control unit).
If the actuator is working (moving) then the issues is probably the blend door.

Replacing the blend door is NOT fun (at least not on my explorer) I elected to NOT pull my entire dash out to get to it.
I cut the bottom of the box out below the blend door with a dremel, replaced the blend door, aligned the piece I cut out and expoyed it back in.

Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its in under the dash... below the radio almost on the floor for the actuator.... look up on youtube "heater treater ford expedition".... its a cheap way to fix your blend door or actuator without having to remove the entire dash

OP
OP

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
Ok, went out this morning to run eatc diagnostic, it ran, finished with 888 then i tried the heat and now it only blows out cold air, what is going on? I checked temp on heater core, was what i thought to be acceptable, it must be the blend door, but why the sudden change?

OP
OP

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
Thank you for that information walnut, that is definitely an effective way of doing it, but it definitely isn't the ford way, so has anyone else used the "heater treater" method?

driveway2fast

Reaction score
Probably still the blend door (although still check the actuator). What happens with the blend door, is the top of blend door hinge mates with the actuator and being a plastic part subject to dramatic changes in temperature becomes brittle and breaks. The blend door just stays in one position or the other but can 'flop' to the other side, which may have happened to yours. I have repaired two blend doors (on an explorer and a mountaineer) from going through the bottom.

I will try to remember to look at my Expedition tonight to see how it differs from the explorer. ( I just bought my first expedition last week)

But I still recommend checking the actuator first.

Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i fixed mine with the heatertreater method.... on youtube they have a video for expeditions

OP
OP

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
Yea, i watched the video. Do you like it? was it easy to do? How did you re attach all the plastic?