A/C Compressor Valve blew off :0 2005 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David E

Reaction score
Hello to all, (2005 Expedition, 5.4 Triton V3 KR)
Had a complete A/C Compressor kit from Rock Auto installed and everything was installed according to spec.
New A/C compressor, expansion valve, condenser and a used dryer since the one that came with the kit did not match the car (quite disappointing).
Used a recovery unit, flushed and vacuumed the system after all parts were installed. A/C worked great for a while till we got to the beach. At the camping grounds we heard an explosion sound and refrigerant along with massive gas like blow was coming out from the under-body where the compressor is located. I"m guessing it safe to assume that the pressure went too high and a release valve engaged. (car was running, a/c running and parked)
Unsure at the moment if this is due to a restriction on the system or as some mentioned in other posts the fan clutch is not sufficiently engaging.
Does this mean I have to get a new compressor? or does it seal back once the pressure is low?
Is it safe to say that the oil is all gone and would need to be fully refilled?
Haven't had much time to deal with this and as soon as I get to hook up them gauges IL update the post.
Feel free to relay any and all information/experience you might have with this.
Thanks in advance for all the help in this amazing forum!
David

mhg1

Reaction score
First find the point of the leak. Can be any part of the system that had a catastrophic failure.
Hose, Compressor, condenser. Can be as simple as a shrader valve gone bad.
If a part under warranty, good. If not time for more money into the system.
Good luck, Mike