A/c please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rml6491

Reaction score
I have a 2008 expedition 5.4 triton the a/c quit working found out the a/c clutch wasn’t coming on so I replaced the compressor charged it up and the a/c worked perfect for about a week. Then I noticed coming home from work sitting idling the a/c got hot but once I got back onto the highway it got cold again, however later that evening when I left to run errands it no longer worked at all ac/ clutch once again wasn’t engaging and manifold gauge showed overcharged. so I just warrantied the a/c compressor got the new one on and went ahead and changed the fan clutch as well, And still no a/c clutch activation, didn’t even take 12 ounces of refrigerant to become overcharged. I’ve checked all the fuses and replaced the a/c clutch relay as well, at this point I’m lost on what it could be and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance. It does have the aux a/c if that helps at all

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Did you clean/flush the system
2. Did you pull a vacuum on the system
3. Was the proper oil charge installed

Etc, etc since your expertise in A/C repair is unknown here (mine also)

OP
OP
R

rml6491

Reaction score
Yeah I had it professionally flushed after the first compressor install and added the 7 ounces of oil like ford said and they pulled a vacuum on it before charging it. I charged it myself this go around. I’m not experienced at all with a/c I probably need to just take it in but I picked it up super cheap and have already put more into it than what I paid for it lol just stumped at this point.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but I picked it up super cheap and have already put more into it than what I paid for it lol
Haven't most of us. You may have introduced air to the system when hooking up gauges. You need to bleed (have refrigerant slowly coming out of hoses) as you are connecting to the system. I use the 30# tanks myself instead of small cans since I have a scale to measure charge. Load vapor into low side until compressor kicks on, etc. Watch for pressures https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/ford-discharge-pressure-chart-and-solution-chart.32810/ with rpms 1500-2000

You did change accumulator/drier I'm sure??