Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benlee Richardson

Reaction score
Hello everyone, My name is Benlee and I am here to hopefully find some answers about how I can fix my A/C. It only blows hot air. This is actually my first ford product. I bought the truck only because I needed something that would fit all of my children, and the EXPEDITION could do that verses my Camaro. Me being a car guy I was new to the truck life, but I must say I was very impressed with my Ford EXPEDITION! I am from Nebraska so we get bad winters mostly, and this truck powered through deep snow like a hot knife cutting butter. I had never experienced four wheel drive before until I got this truck and it is awesome! and since I've had this truck I have learn how to change out my own part's on it. I have dropped a new alternator in there brakes, rear stabilizesrs and just the other day a starter which was really hectic to get that top bolt out but it was a satisfying moment for me I must say. So now My problem is my A/C is blowing hot air, I have looked at some youtube vids about it but I just don't think I am looking at the right ones. I am a visual guy, if I see the job done once I can duplicate it exactly the way I saw it. If there is any videos or advice you can direct me to or tell me I would greatly appreciate it. God bless you all, and have a awesome day!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The only problem with being "a visual guy" is you really don't learn anything - you don't learn the theory on how the system(s) work. Once you know the basics you have the foundation to perform diagnostic troubleshooting verses tossing parts. You will also be able to tell when something is incorrect in the videos on YT.

Read the stickies in the AC section and get back with us. Then when you are instructed to perform certain tests you will know what the results should be vs what you get.

I'm in the teaching business, when we reconvene for the summer session, the subject matter will be Heating and AC covering r134a and YF1234 refrigerants.
I have a saying for our students "Learn to do it right or learn to do it over". Their choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benlee Richardson

Benlee Richardson

Reaction score
I knew it was a good idea to come here. I am very greatful for all the advice I get. I am quite transparent and my eagerness to learn is always high. Thank you all for your input and I will take it now and put it into action. I will have the answers to this issue sometime today.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a saying for the millennial students in the classes: RTFM

It has multiple meanings, one of which is "Read the free manual"

https://www.slideshare.net/taufiqatan1/automotive-air-conditioning-training-manual

When I went through the AC years ago, once we had finished the course I said "that's it?, just a state change of refrigerant?". Yep was the answer.

Benlee, free advice: Don't change any part until you have proven it has failed. Once you have proven failure you condemn the part and repair or replace as needed. Otherwise you become a "parts ******".

First thing to check is if the ac clutch fuse is in place and has power on both sides.
Second would be to check what the static pressure of the ac system is with a good set of gauges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benlee Richardson

Benlee Richardson

Reaction score
Okay, so the A/C Compressor needs to come out. The clutch is calcified and rusted out, so now I know what needs to be done. Thank you for the advice as well as the motivation.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it have power to the ac clutch?
Does the ac clutch engage?
What is the static pressure?

Condemning a part due to rust?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so the A/C Compressor needs to come out. The clutch is calcified and rusted out, so now I know what needs to be done. Thank you for the advice as well as the motivation.

What do you mean by rusted out? They rarely do this.
They can come apart and slip and burn up but not super common.
The most typical ac prob is refrigerant level low not kicking in the low side pressure switch.
Of course if you have an obviously damaged comp clutch then start there, but most of the time you start adding refrigerant and the clutch kicks on and it charges up.
How long it holds the refrigerant is a the big question.