A couple of new FE questions from a new member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasterthanlight

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to ask these questions to begin off my forum viewing.

Let's get started.

First, let's talk the 5.4l. Here in NY we have several Ethanol stations. Usually it is about $2.50 a gallon instead of $3.50 a gallon. Now, I don't believe in global warming, so we don't have to debate that point. I want to know everyone's actual mileage performance vs power performance. Is it worth it, etc?

Second, I like that it has just a regular key and not a fancy pants special one that has a transponder like Jeep. I will be getting it an auto start from Viper in the fall. Do people have this setup at all? Does it require anything special from them to make it function okay?

Thirdly, what does everyone like for tires? What is the largest size I can put on this vehicle with stock height? I have had the Dueler A/T's before on a Jeep and they were great. What do you all like for nasty winters and highway travel?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cant help you with #1 or #3...but for the extra money...you can get the upgraded remote start/alarm from the dealership unless your getting the viper 5901/2 on the low...

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome fellow NYer, can't help you with the Viper set up but you still have the PATs system in your key so its gonna take a little bit of work to install the keyless entry, can be done...

for ethanol, we don't have any up here in NNY... so cant help you...

for tire size not too familiar with the newer Gen expys, but some others will chime in.... any plans on a lift?

for a damn good winter tire for our NY weather look into the general tire grabber AT2... works damn good IMO... just wish they would make 37s for my expy

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Assuming that your truck is Flex Fuel and can run on E85, you will find that your mileage will go down anywhere between 10 - 20%. Some people have reported reduced power, but I haven't seen any dyno results that document that. (but it makes sense)